[NatureNS] Orioles numbers growing, Halifax

From: Susann Myers <myerss@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 20:58:27 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_PYftwhJdjSnTLvigipf6Bw)

I had 3 orioles in my back yard last week, then noticed a fourth on the week-end.  Today I was home with a cold, which gave me an opportunity to see that there were 5 at a time around the feeding cage.

It's great to see them having an easy time of it, with this mild winter.  Yesterday afternoon one showed up soaking wet, clearly having indulged in a good bathe.

All are immature (first winter) birds.  I thought all 5 were females, but today noticed a dark streak appearing on the head of the pesky aggressive one.  Clearly he had me fooled.  This is a good 2 months early for them to be moulting, in these northern climes.

Cheers,
Susann Myers

--Boundary_(ID_PYftwhJdjSnTLvigipf6Bw)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I had 3 orioles in my back yard last
week,&nbsp;then noticed a fourth on the week-end.&nbsp; Today I was home with a
cold,&nbsp;which gave me an opportunity to see that there were 5 at a time
around the feeding cage.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>It's great to see them having an easy time of it,
with this mild winter.&nbsp; Yesterday afternoon one
showed&nbsp;up</FONT>&nbsp;<FONT face=Arial size=2>soaking wet, clearly having
indulged in a good bathe.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>All are immature (first winter) birds.&nbsp; I
thought all 5 were females, but today noticed a dark&nbsp;streak appearing on
the head of the pesky aggressive one.&nbsp; Clearly he had me fooled.&nbsp; This
is a good 2 months early for them to be moulting, in these northern
climes.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Cheers,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Susann Myers</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_PYftwhJdjSnTLvigipf6Bw)--