[NatureNS] Fw: Baltimore Orioles, Northern Mockingbird and many other yard birds!

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 07:46:01 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_AxPlDJgKTbuQ02Ic8IG7Bg)

----- Original Message -----
From: Hans Toom
To: NS-RBA
Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2011 7:45 AM
Subject: Baltimore Orioles, Northern Mockingbird and many other yard birds!

My population of Baltimore Orioles increased to five late last week. I was busy in his workshop building yet another winter bird feeder specifically designed for orioles. I'll have trays of lard/raisin/peanut butter suet, grape jelly, meal worms and grapes. I'm planning to use one of those chemical pocket warmers to keep the meal worms from freezing but better ideas are appreciated, but privately please.

The Northern Mockingbird is also a daily regular and has checked out the oriole feeder. Interestingly there has been no hostility between the mockingbird and the orioles.

The over-wintering bird population at our place has been building in recent days. It's up to 21 species and perhaps 300-400 individual birds, not including the starlings that show up in the hundreds from time to time.

Hans
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/

--Boundary_(ID_AxPlDJgKTbuQ02Ic8IG7Bg)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19154">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----
<DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A
title=htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca href="mailto:htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca">Hans Toom</A>
</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com
href="mailto:NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com">NS-RBA</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, December 15, 2011 7:45 AM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Baltimore Orioles, Northern Mockingbird and many other yard
birds!</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>My population of <STRONG>Baltimore Orioles</STRONG>
increased to five late last week. I was busy in his workshop building yet
another winter bird feeder specifically designed for orioles. I'll have trays of
lard/raisin/peanut butter suet, grape jelly,&nbsp;meal worms and grapes. I'm
planning to use one of those chemical pocket warmers to keep the meal worms from
freezing but better ideas are appreciated, but privately please.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The <STRONG>Northern Mockingbird</STRONG> is also a
daily regular and has checked out the oriole feeder. Interestingly there has
been no hostility between the mockingbird and the orioles.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The over-wintering bird population at our place has
been building in recent days.&nbsp;It's up to 21 species and perhaps 300-400
individual birds, not including the starlings that show up in the hundreds from
time to time.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/">http://www.hanstoom.com/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_AxPlDJgKTbuQ02Ic8IG7Bg)--