[NatureNS] Empid ( Least/Dusky Flycatcher?) Southside Harbour Rd., Antigonish CBC

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NS-RBA <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>, NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 21:29:12 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_RBX31EuFbQqDrqWPclAvRQ)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644
Hi all
On the Lower South-River section of the Antigonish CBC route today, Nicole MacDonald and I observed an Empidonax Flycatcher early this morning (8:15) just after starting our route. We had just pished in a number of Black-capped Chickadees and a couple of Golden-crowned Kinglets when I became aware of a "Whit" call note. We were located on the north side of the TCH 104, on South Side Harbour Rd. between Kennedy Road and Village Lane. The sound was coming from the west side of Southside Harbour Rd. where the sun was just starting to shine on the bank of the road. We finally saw the maker of the Whit sound and were surprised to see an "Empid: at such a late date. It spent most of the time we observed it over about a 10 min. period under cover, but it did fly out to the ground a few times and we had several too brief looks at the bird.
Briefly there was some pale yellow on the lower belly, buffy-yellow wing bars, and a smallish eye-ring. I was not successful in getting any photos and the bird quit calling after we were able to make visual contact. I was quite happy at the time of calling it a Least Flycatcher - juvenile, but after getting home and reading a bit I am not sure that I cannot rule out Dusky Flycatcher. Since we had a large route to attend to on the CBC, we elected to move on.
Other birds on our route were 2 Pine Warblers at Pomquet, Pied-billed Grebe at Pomquet, a couple of fly-over Redpolls while we were observing the Flycatcher, a Swamp Sparrow at Pomquet Pt. Rd.and a male Barrows Goldeneye from Dunns Beach.
We were reasonably happy with the days birding ~ 48 species on the route although we missed some easy birds like Boreal Chickadee, Ruffed grouse, Common Loon C. Eider, RN Grebe  cormorants, waxwings and hawks.

--Boundary_(ID_RBX31EuFbQqDrqWPclAvRQ)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19170">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0K
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>On the Lower South-River section of the Antigonish
CBC route today, Nicole MacDonald and I observed an Empidonax Flycatcher early
this morning (8:15) just after starting our route. We had just pished in a
number of Black-capped Chickadees and a couple of Golden-crowned Kinglets when I
became aware of a "Whit" call note. We were located on the north side of the TCH
104, on South Side Harbour Rd. between Kennedy Road and Village Lane. The sound
was coming from the west side of Southside Harbour Rd. where the sun was just
starting to shine on the bank of the road. We finally saw the maker of the Whit
sound and were surprised to see an "Empid: at such a late date. It spent most of
the time we observed it over about a 10 min. period under cover, but it did fly
out to the ground a few times and we had several&nbsp;too brief looks at the
bird. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Briefly there was some pale yellow on the lower
belly, buffy-yellow wing bars, and a smallish eye-ring. I was not successful in
getting any photos and the bird quit calling after we were able to make visual
contact. I was quite happy at the time of calling it a Least Flycatcher -
juvenile, but after getting home and reading a bit I am not sure that I cannot
rule out Dusky Flycatcher. Since we had a large route to attend to on the CBC,
we elected to move on. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Other birds on our route were 2 Pine Warblers at
Pomquet, Pied-billed Grebe at Pomquet, a couple of fly-over Redpolls while we
were observing the Flycatcher, a Swamp Sparrow at Pomquet Pt. Rd.and a male
Barrows Goldeneye from Dunns Beach. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>We were reasonably happy with the days birding ~ 48
species on the route although we missed some easy birds like Boreal Chickadee,
Ruffed grouse, Common Loon C. Eider, RN Grebe&nbsp; cormorants, waxwings and
hawks. </FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_RBX31EuFbQqDrqWPclAvRQ)--