[NatureNS] Fwd: A bird affair...

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 21:35:54 -0400
To: duartess@ns.sympatico.ca
Cc: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--14dae9c097fea76dc404b49035b5

Hi,

Personally I don't think it's shocking or sad, and I would love to have
photographed or video-d it. But I agree, nature doesn't follow what people
think of as cute or kind. Merlins like to eat woodpeckers, woodpeckers like
to eat insect larvae, insect larvae like to eat algae, algae like to eat
bacteria, and if you're a bacterium-lover, you'd probably think algae were
cruel or shocking.  It's all just nature's way of preserving the individual
and propagating the species.

Cheers - Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

--14dae9c097fea76dc404b49035b5

Hi,<br><br>Personally I don&#39;t think it&#39;s shocking or sad, and I wou=
ld love to have photographed or video-d it. But I agree, nature doesn&#39;t=
 follow what people think of as cute or kind. Merlins like to eat woodpecke=
rs, woodpeckers like to eat insect larvae, insect larvae like to eat algae,=
 algae like to eat bacteria, and if you&#39;re a bacterium-lover, you&#39;d=
 probably think algae were cruel or shocking.=A0 It&#39;s all just nature&#=
39;s way of preserving the individual and propagating the species.<br>

 at 9:08 PM,  <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:duartess@ns.sympatico=
"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding=
-left:1ex">

Oh, how shocking and very sad for your friend to have witnessed this, but, =
that&#39;s nature, and nature&#39;s way. Beautiful, but hard, and completel=
y unforgiving.<br>
Gayle MacLean<br>
Dartmouth<br>
---- Richard Stern &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com">sternricha=
rd@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; Hi,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; A photographer friend sent me this the other day - thought I&#39;d sha=
re it<br>
&gt; with NatureNS.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Richard<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; ---------- Forwarded message ----------<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Hi Richard:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Just had to share this story with you....<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Last week I was walking our dog past a neighbour&#39;s yard and heard =
a<br>
&gt; commotion. =A0I turned and saw a crow (raven?) attacking a small Woodp=
ecker...<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; The woodpecker managed to escape and flew directly toward me, a little=
&gt; unstable and chirping the whole time.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; It then flew right by by me and almost across the road, when a merlin =
come<br>
&gt; out of nowhere and snatched it up in midair &amp; up out of sight. =A0=
No more<br>
&gt; chirping from the woodpecker.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; The whole event took about 5 seconds: I was dumbfounded, alone, and am=
azed.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Thought you&#39;d like to know!<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Happy Holidays...<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Gerry<br>