[NatureNS] re vertebrate cooperativity in foraging

Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 02:24:12 -0400
From: "Stephen R. Shaw" <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

These are some intriguing examples, wish I had prizes to offer.

Chris' dolphin example is fascinating, and might be another case of
learning for an extra or easier reward, based on a much older
cooperative behaviour to school fish in order to make them easier to
catch for the pod, that other cetaceans also exhibit.  You'd then
perhaps ask who was actually training whom -- the humans presumably
learned something from the dolphins, who in a real sense were the
initial teachers. I suppose that if it were recent (is known for 6
centuries 'recent'?), the new behaviour with humans could be socially
transmitted through generations by the local dolphin society/pod, not
necessarily through genetic change.

Jim's examples are interesting because they illustrate how any
interspecies cooperation would have to start, by one species taking
advantage of a resource exploited by another perhaps more powerful
animal, that did not itself benefit at first (I went to the recent Dal
talk about ivory gulls, birds which are almost exclusively
winter-dependent on polar bear kills of seals in the area under study,
and so are at risk as a result of PB difficulties from late arrival of
sea ice).  I'd only be convinced by the Tibetan example if the more
nimble fox actually let the slower bear have every second pika, or
even better, actually killed some of them and let the bear eat these
offerings, rather than running off to bury each pika it caught in the
snow. Perhaps this happens?

The second half of Fred's 'Heinrich' example is one of the most
revealing. A reliable ravens-human connection might seem implausible
at first sight because at least in N. America, humans colonized only
'recently', in the last 10-11,000 years (well, there were earlier
coastal forays in the 20,000 year range), so not enough time...  But
this seeming objection runs up against the newer work on domestication
of dogs from wolves, which took place only once just a few thousand
years ago --  the domestication event itself is thought to have taken
a much shorter time even than this. Or the Russian example of
selective breeding that achieved docility in silver(?) foxes over just
a few generations.  Perhaps dog-human is one of the better documented
examples of mutualism where it is clear that both species clearly
benefit from the connection, above what they had when living
independently before.  So given the speediness of that development, it
is much easier to imagine that a crow-wolf symbiotic cooperation, much
older, could have been transferred by a very smart bird to humans and
even consolidated genetically in a short time.  After humans first
appeared on the scene, ravens observed them to be usefully killing
large animals even more efficiently than wolves did, so expanded their
allegiance to the new species.  Could crows-human roadkill be a
developing example? -- will crows, also smart, soon start chasing
racoons out into traffic?

Anyway, really interesting examples -- Merry Christmas to everyone.
Steve