[NatureNS] re vertebrate cooperativity in foraging

From: Christopher Majka <c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 10:59:41 -0400

--Apple-Mail-192-513914466

Hi Steve,

On 22-Dec-11, at 2:24 AM, Stephen R. Shaw wrote:

> These are some intriguing examples, wish I had prizes to offer.
>
> Chris' dolphin example is fascinating, and might be another case of
> learning for an extra or easier reward, based on a much older
> cooperative behaviour to school fish in order to make them easier to
> catch for the pod, that other cetaceans also exhibit.  You'd then
> perhaps ask who was actually training whom -- the humans presumably
> learned something from the dolphins, who in a real sense were the
> initial teachers. I suppose that if it were recent (is known for 6
> centuries 'recent'?), the new behaviour with humans could be
> socially transmitted through generations by the local dolphin
> society/pod, not necessarily through genetic change.

In the Banc d'Arguin region of Mauritania the Sahara meets the
Atlantic. The slope of the land is very gradual so there are very wide
expanses of shallow water. The Imraguen fishermen stand on dune crests
and look out over the ocean. From this vantage they can see passing
schools of mullet through subtle changes in the hue of the water,
however, the fish are far enough  away from the coast that the
fisherman couldn't get out to them with their nets. Whether the
dolphins have an acoustic way of perceiving the mullet schools or not
is unknown, but they cannot, of course, visually scan a wide area of
the ocean.

When the fishermen see a passing school of mullet one of them goes
down to the water's edge and begins pounding it with a log, making a
low-frequency sound they presumably travels a long distance. Some ten
minutes later dolphins begin to appear in the distance. Numbers vary
from a half dozen to a dozen and can consist of three different
species (I'm not sure if there are mixed groups of species). The
dolphins form a crescent and herd the fish towards the shore. They are
met by a crescent of advancing fisherman who wade out into the water
with their nets. The two groups meet and the fishermen encircle the
mullet. Mullet are caught in these gill nets while the dolphins swim
in and out of the "enclosure" catching fish that have been
concentrated and trapped by the nets. After everyone has caught/eaten
their fill the dolphins swim away and the fishermen wade ashore with
their catch.

This cooperative behaviour has been know since at least the 15th
century (and who know who long before that) when it was documented by
traveling Portuguese fishermen. The cooperative behavior is clearly
beneficial to both groups, and once in existence, it's easy to
understand how new generations of both fisherman and dolphins continue
to learn what to do. But try and imagine how such a cooperative
arrangement might have come into being. :~>

For those interested in more detail, the investigator whom I met who
documented this cooperative behavior in great detail was Rene Guy
Busnel who published:

Busnel, R.G. 1973. Symbiotic relationship between man and dolphins.
Transactions of the New York Academy of Sciences. Ser. 11, 35(2):
112-131.

I unfortunately cannot find a copy of this paper available online,
however, Pryor et al. (1990) documents a similar working arrangement
between people and dolphins in Brazil and looks at historical accounts
of such co-evolved fishing practices going back to Pliny the Elder
(A.D. 23-79).

Pryor, K., Lindbergh, J., Lindbergh, S., and Milano R.1990. A dolphin-
human fishing cooperative in Brazil. MArine Mammal Science 6(1): 11-82.
	http://reachingtheanimalmind.com/pdfs/ch_12/ch_12_pdf_01.pdf

Cheers!

Chris

Christopher Majka  <c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca> | Halifax, Nova Scotia,
Canada

* Research Associate: Nova Scotia Museum | http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mnh/research-asfr.htm
* Review Editor: The Coleopterists Bulletin | http://www.coleopsoc.org/
* Subject Editor: ZooKeys | http://pensoftonline.net/zookeys/index.php/journal/index
* Review Editor: Zootaxa | http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/taxa/Coleoptera.html
* Associate Editor: Journal of the Acadian Entomological Society | http://www.acadianes.org/journal.html
* Editor: Atlantic Canada Coleoptera | http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Environment/NHR/PDF/index.html
* Editor: Bugguide, Coleoptera http://bugguide.net

Whenever I hear of the capture of rare beetles, I feel like an old war-
horse at the sound of a trumpet. - Charles Darwin

--Apple-Mail-192-513914466

22-Dec-11, at 2:24 AM, Stephen R. Shaw wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div>These =
are some intriguing examples, wish I had prizes to offer.<br><br>Chris' =
dolphin example is fascinating, and might be another case of learning =
for an extra or easier reward, based on a much older cooperative =
behaviour to school fish in order to make them easier to catch for the =
pod, that other cetaceans also exhibit. &nbsp;You'd then perhaps ask who =
was actually training whom -- the humans presumably learned something =
from the dolphins, who in a real sense were the initial teachers. I =
suppose that if it were recent (is known for 6 centuries 'recent'?), the =
new behaviour with humans could be socially transmitted through =
generations by the local dolphin society/pod, not necessarily through =
the&nbsp;Banc d'Arguin region of Mauritania the Sahara meets the =
Atlantic. The slope of the land is very gradual so there are very wide =
expanses of shallow water. The&nbsp;Imraguen fishermen stand on dune =
crests and look out over the ocean. =46rom this vantage they can see =
passing schools of mullet through subtle changes in the hue of the =
water, however, the fish are far enough &nbsp;away from the coast that =