[NatureNS] White Point Christmas Bird Count

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 05:05:05 +0000

--_bec149d6-7730-4e24-b0bf-64f94e703063_

Hi all:
=20
For those of you who have attempted data entry you are likely disappointed =
with Audubon's new data entry system.  It is far more time consuming then t=
he old system and there are many faults.  I will not delve into most of the=
m.  I understand that there are still some kinks to work out=2C but they ha=
ve taken a step backwards by a large margin.  I also noted that in the nine=
 years of the White Point Count that it states that this year 112=2C for so=
me species was the max count when it actually was not according to the max =
number of such species seen before. So this is registering incorrectly.  Ba=
ld Eagle needed to be added in.  I'm assuming that since it is an American =
site that this is the reason as this species would not likely occur in a lo=
t of counts there.  I could be way off base on this though.  With these cou=
nts the strength of the wind always used to be factored in with the data.  =
I did not see an option for this.  Anyhow=2C enough griping and on to the a=
ctual results this year.
=20
We did the count on Dec. 15.  We had three teams in the field with a total =
of 4 field participants and one feeder watcher. =20
=20
The results were 47 species of which nice finds were a red-throated loon=2C=
 12 green-winged teal=2C a pine warbler=2C a red-bellied woodpecker=2C and =
three great shearwaters.  We only came up with one yellow-rumped warbler=2C=
 but it was very windy and at Summerville Beach a week before there had bee=
n a whole flock of those birds there.  New species for the count were hoode=
d merganser=2C pine warbler and great shearwater.   About a dozen of the no=
rmal species usually found were not located during the count=2C the most no=
teable of which were red-breasted nuthatch=2C boreal chickadee=2C common go=
ldeneye=2C common merganser=2C belted kingfisher=2C brown creeper=2C Bohemi=
an waxwing=2C cedar waxwing=2C American tree sparrow=2C common grackle=2C h=
ouse sparrow=2C  and evening grosbeak. =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater 		 	   		  =

--_bec149d6-7730-4e24-b0bf-64f94e703063_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
For those of you who have attempted data entry you are likely disappointed =
with Audubon's new data entry system.&nbsp=3B It is far more time consuming=
 then the old system and there are many faults.&nbsp=3B I will not delve in=
to most of them.&nbsp=3B I understand that there are still&nbsp=3Bsome kink=
s to work out=2C but they have taken a step backwards by a large margin.&nb=
sp=3B I also noted that in the nine years of the White Point Count that it =
states that this year 112=2C for some species was the max count when it act=
ually was not according to the max number of such species seen before.&nbsp=
=3BSo this is registering incorrectly.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BBald Eagle needed to =
be added in.&nbsp=3B I'm assuming that since it is an American site that th=
is is the reason as this species would not likely occur in a lot of counts =
there.&nbsp=3B I could be way off base on this though.&nbsp=3B With these c=
ounts the strength of the wind always used to be factored in with the data.=
&nbsp=3B I did not see an option for this.&nbsp=3B Anyhow=2C enough griping=
 and on to the actual results this year.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
We&nbsp=3Bdid the count on Dec. 15.&nbsp=3B We had three teams in the field=
 with a total of 4 field participants and one feeder watcher.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
The results were 47 species of which nice finds were a red-throated loon=2C=
 12 green-winged teal=2C a pine warbler=2C a red-bellied woodpecker=2C and =
three great shearwaters.&nbsp=3B We only came up with one yellow-rumped war=
bler=2C but it was very windy and at Summerville Beach a week&nbsp=3Bbefore=
 there had been a whole flock of those birds there.&nbsp=3B New species for=
 the count were hooded merganser=2C pine warbler and great shearwater.&nbsp=
=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BAbout a dozen of the normal species usually found were n=
ot located during the count=2C the most noteable of which were red-breasted=
 nuthatch=2C boreal chickadee=2C common goldeneye=2C common merganser=2C be=
lted kingfisher=2C brown creeper=2C Bohemian waxwing=2C cedar waxwing=2C Am=
erican tree sparrow=2C common grackle=2C house sparrow=2C&nbsp=3B and eveni=
ng grosbeak.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bridgewater<BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_bec149d6-7730-4e24-b0bf-64f94e703063_--