[NatureNS] Margaretsville birds

From: Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 14:47:02 -0400
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi,

Yesterday Shirley Harris and I did the Margaretsville area of the Kingston CBC. The wind was so strong at the lighthouse it was hard to stand up. But the waves were spectacular at high tide. There were 13 purple sandpipers, which tried to take off but after heading backwards for a few feet landed again. It was impossible to hold the camera still enough to take photos , plus we were getting soaked by spray.

However there were also a nice pair of Harlequins that sensibly stayed in the lee of the wharf. A lone Kittiwake was heading into the wind offshore.

I'll leave it to Wayne to send a full account of the count.

Richard Stern
sternrichard@gmail.com
Sent from my iPhone