[NatureNS] RB Woodpecker - info on trends needed

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 16:25:57 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--90e6ba1efd8266e93c04b5b9a1de

Grand, thanks Ian.

If anyone else has anything to add, please do let us know.

Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 4 January 2012 16:20, <iamclar@dal.ca> wrote:

> Randy:
>
> Here's a summary of the history of RBWO in NS.
>
> Nine were reported 1961-1985, about 40 1986-2000, and 200++ since, most
> of them in big incursions fall 2004 and fall 2008, and again, of course,
> last fall.  At least 10 individuals or pairs have been seen during summer=
,
> and as you note, breeding was first confirmed (in Jollimore, Hfx) in summ=
er
> 2006.
>
> I did a bit of sleuthing on the issue of big incursions a few months ago,
> and it seems generally accepted that the movements are related to
> fluctuations (quasi-cyclic?) in mast crops. It also seems that the specie=
> has been spreading n., while populations of Red-headed W's are shrinking.
>
> Cheers, Ian
> Ian McLaren
>
> Quoting Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>:
>
>  All,
>>
>> I've birded NS for over 20 years, sometimes enthusiastically, sometimes
>> just absorbingly. However, I don't know much about Red-bellied Woodpecke=
rs
>> here, though someone has sent in a picture to our local paper and the
>> reporter wants details about the species here. From watching NatureNS an=
>> reading *Nova Scotia Birds*, I feel like this statement is fair: "It is =
>>
>> regular fall or winter visitor, in some years, in ones and twos, and in
>> others, like this one, they are popping up regularly. I don=92t think an=
yone
>> knows why this happens." Does this sound reasonable?
>>
>> There is one nest record in the Atlas (confirmed)...were there any other=
>> this past year?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Randy
>>
>> ______________________________**___
>> RF Lauff
>> Way in the boonies of
>> Antigonish County, NS.

--90e6ba1efd8266e93c04b5b9a1de

nish County, NS.<br>

tr">&lt;iamclar@dal.ca&gt;</span> wro=
te:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-=
left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

Randy:<br>
Here&#39;s a summary of the history of RBWO in NS.<br>
Nine were reported 1961-1985, about <a href=3D"tel:40%201986-2000" value=3D=
"+14019862000" target=3D"_blank">40 1986-2000</a>, and 200++ since, most of=
 them in big incursions fall 2004 and fall 2008, and again, of course, last=
 fall. =A0At least 10 individuals or pairs have been seen during summer, an=
d as you note, breeding was first confirmed (in Jollimore, Hfx) in summer 2=
006.<br>

I did a bit of sleuthing on the issue of big incursions a few months ago, a=
nd it seems generally accepted that the movements are related to fluctuatio=
ns (quasi-cyclic?) in mast crops. It also seems that the species has been s=
preading n., while populations of Red-headed W&#39;s are shrinking.<br>

Cheers, Ian<br>
Ian McLaren<br>
Quoting Randy Lauff &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:randy.lauff@gmail.com" target=3D"=
_blank">randy.lauff@gmail.com</a>&gt;:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div class=3D"im">
All,<br>
I&#39;ve birded NS for over 20 years, sometimes enthusiastically, sometimes=
just absorbingly. However, I don&#39;t know much about Red-bellied Woodpeck=
ers<br>
here, though someone has sent in a picture to our local paper and the<br>
reporter wants details about the species here. From watching NatureNS and<b=
r></div>
reading *Nova Scotia Birds*, I feel like this statement is fair: &quot;It i=
s a<div class=3D"im"><br>
regular fall or winter visitor, in some years, in ones and twos, and in<br>
others, like this one, they are popping up regularly. I don=92t think anyon=
e<br>
knows why this happens.&quot; Does this sound reasonable?<br>
There is one nest record in the Atlas (confirmed)...were there any others<b=
r>
this past year?<br>
Thanks,<br>
Randy<br>