[NatureNS] Pictou Hbr. CBC results

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 16:18:28 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_054C_01CCCEEA.52A95540

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all
Here is a late report on the Pictou Hbr. CBC which was run Jan. 1, 2012 =
under somewhat trying conditions of wind, fog and precipitation.=20
There were 65 species tallied for the count which I though was decent =
given the challenging conditions. However, the number of birds was less =
than 50% of average ( ~ 8,500) with the wind making observations =
difficult as well as the lack of ice in the harbours not concentrating =
the birds like in "olden times". The last few years have seen warmer =
weather delaying harbour freeze-up.=20
We saw 22  species of waterfowl including a record 40 American Wigeon =
with one male Eurasian Wigeon at Company Rd. in Abercrombie.=20
A scaup X Tufted Duck hybrid bird was seen and photographed by Steve and =
Amber Vines before 8 am along the Pictou waterfront. It has not been =
seen there since.
There were 8 Gadwall  along the East River in the vicinity of the sewage =
treatment plant and Randy and Krista had 3 Green-winged Teal near =
Green's Pt.in Hillside.
A pair of N. Pintail were seen from the Parking Meter plant in =
Abercrombie. A couple of Barrow's Goldeneye were seen by the Vines near =
the Pictou Causeway ( I think?) - they noted at least 8 in around  =
Caribou and Pictou Harbours this past weekend.
We were lucky this year to get both common loons species, but only =
Horned Grebes for count week as the 6 I saw the day before at Melmerby =
PP were not visible in the high waves and wind on count day.=20
A new bird for our count was an adult Turkey Vulture seen in the =
Woodburn area by Deborah McLane. I failed to find an American Coot which =
I saw Dec. 31 at the NSPC outflow in Trenton.

Six gull species were noted with 12 Bonaparte's here and there in =
several harbours. An imm. Glaucous Gull was at the sewage treatment =
plant and later seen at Company Rd.

Five Belted Kingfishers were seen in widely spaced areas, but strangely =
none near the trenton outflow where there were 2 the day before.=20
Although we saw 5 species of woodpecker the number of individuals was =
very low, but the Vines were able to tally a Red-bellied Woodpecker near =
Battery Hill in Pictou.
A nice number of 7 Brown Creepers were observed despite the wind!  Tim =
Brennan noted 14 Bohemian Waxwings with 90 Am. Robins at Pictou Landing
The only representatives from the blackbird family were 2 Baltimore =
Orioles at the O'Brien feeder in Pictou. There was almost no variety of =
finches with Goldfinches the bulk and less than a handful of Purple =
Finches.
cheers
ken

------=_NextPart_000_054C_01CCCEEA.52A95540

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton =
NS<BR>B0K=20
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Here is a late report on the Pictou =
Hbr. CBC which=20
was run Jan. 1, 2012 under somewhat trying conditions of wind, fog and=20
precipitation. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>There were <STRONG>65 species</STRONG> =
tallied for=20
the count which I though was decent given the challenging conditions. =
However,=20
the number of birds was less than 50% of average ( ~ 8,500)&nbsp;with =
the wind=20
making observations difficult as well as the lack of ice in the harbours =
not=20
concentrating the birds like in "olden times". The last few years have =
seen=20
warmer weather delaying harbour freeze-up. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>We saw 22&nbsp; species of waterfowl =
including a=20
record <STRONG>40 American Wigeon</STRONG> with one male<STRONG> =
Eurasian=20
Wigeon</STRONG> at Company Rd. in Abercrombie.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>A <STRONG>scaup X Tufted Duck</STRONG> =
hybrid bird=20
was seen and photographed by Steve and Amber Vines before 8 am along the =
Pictou=20
waterfront. It has not been seen there since.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>There were 8 =
<STRONG>Gadwall</STRONG>&nbsp; along=20
the East River in the vicinity of the sewage treatment plant and Randy =
and=20
Krista had 3 <STRONG>Green-winged Teal</STRONG>&nbsp;near Green's Pt.in=20
Hillside.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>A pair of <STRONG>N. Pintail</STRONG> =
were seen=20
from the Parking Meter plant in Abercrombie. A couple of =
<STRONG>Barrow's=20
Goldeneye</STRONG> were seen by the Vines near the Pictou Causeway ( I =
think?) -=20
they noted&nbsp;at least 8 in around&nbsp; Caribou and Pictou Harbours =
this=20
past&nbsp;weekend.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>We were lucky this year to get both =
common loons=20
species, but only Horned Grebes for count week as the 6 I saw the day =
before at=20
Melmerby PP were not visible in the high waves and wind on count day.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>A new bird for our count was an adult=20
<STRONG>Turkey Vulture</STRONG> seen in the Woodburn area by Deborah =
McLane.=20
<STRONG>I failed to find an American Coot</STRONG> which&nbsp;I =
saw&nbsp;Dec. 31=20
at the NSPC outflow in Trenton.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Six gull species were noted with 12=20
<STRONG>Bonaparte's</STRONG> here and there in several harbours. An imm. =

<STRONG>Glaucous Gull</STRONG> was at the sewage treatment plant and =
later seen=20
at Company Rd.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Five <STRONG>Belted =
Kingfishers</STRONG> were seen=20
in widely spaced areas, but strangely none near the trenton =
outflow&nbsp;where=20
there were 2 the day before. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Although we saw 5 species of woodpecker =
the number=20
of individuals was very low, but the Vines were able to tally a=20
<STRONG>Red-bellied Woodpecker</STRONG> near Battery Hill in=20
Pictou.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>A nice number of 7 <STRONG>Brown =
Creepers</STRONG>=20
were observed despite the wind!&nbsp; Tim Brennan noted 14 =
<STRONG>Bohemian=20
Waxwings</STRONG> with 90&nbsp;<STRONG>Am.&nbsp;Robins</STRONG> at =
Pictou=20
Landing</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>The only representatives from the =
blackbird family=20
were 2 <STRONG>Baltimore Orioles</STRONG> at the O'Brien feeder in =
Pictou. There=20
was almost no variety of finches with Goldfinches the bulk and less than =
a=20
handful of Purple Finches.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>ken</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_054C_01CCCEEA.52A95540--