[NatureNS] River Otter on New Year's Day

Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 09:23:33 -0500
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

On 1/14/2012 9:02 AM, Paul MacDonald wrote:
> Good sighting Terry - always fun to see them.
> A question for a winters day
> Why are otters called otters?
> No prize for the best answer!

* wikipedia - "The word otter derives from the Old English word otor or
oter. This and cognate words in other Indo-European languages ultimately
stem from the Proto-Indo-European root *wódr which also gave rise to the
English word water."

I assume "Lutra" and "Lontra" are among these cognates of the same word.

fred schueler.

--

fred
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad