[NatureNS] re star-thrower story -- moral??

From: Brian Bartlett <bbartlett@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 19:02:17 -0400

All The Strange Ho

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01CCD2EF.09032700

Dusan, Sorry, it appears you missed the central part of my most recent =
message. Certainly I wasn't presenting those three phrases as anything =
but similes: "...as we would if we objected to the illogic and (in a =
sense) unreliability in metaphors and similes." I'm fully aware of the =
difference between parables/fables and similes/metaphors -- I was merely =
trying to question being too literal about either. Our discussion of =
parables and fables reminded me of ways in which similes are metaphors =
can't be appreciated via mere logic (like tales or stories that don't =
always follow the laws of nature, they require leaps of imagination). =
There have been some interesting pieces written on cases in which the =
use of metaphorical leaps have helped lead to scientific =
breakthroughs....=20
Brian