Soil temperature (long): was Re: [NatureNS] The rise and fall of

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 23:02:21 -0400

Hi Stephen & All,                    Jan 19, 2012
    A great many factors affect soil temperature near the surface (down to
~5 metres depth); insulation, insolation, soil moisture, time of day, time
of year, latitude, slope, plant cover [as it interacts with radiation-in and
cooling by transpiration], average air temperature, wind, macrostructure,
biopores, soil composition, soil horizons, percolation...

    Geothermal heat impacts temperature near the surface only in exceptional
thin crust situations; e.g. hot springs and/or geyser fields locally in
Iceland, Alaska and California. Conduction is proportional to temperature
gradient, i.e. degrees per unit distance, so geothermal heat reaches the
surface everywhere but normally at a rate so small as to be effectively zero
in the face of solar radiation effects as affected by... Consequently we
have permafrost, Antarctic ice caps and methyl hydrate ice.

    Heat flow by conduction in dry soil is relatively low but under field
conditions most soils will have sufficient water to increase conduction 4-6
fold over the dry state. Much depends upon extent of water extraction but
few drained soils will have more than 20% gas by volume and in many drained
soils gas will be <10%. Consequently, even at field capacity, soil water
plus soil particles provide nearly 100% continuity for heat flow.

    But heat capacity is also important. For example, conductivity of quartz
is about 15 times as great as conductivity of water but heat capacity of
water is 5.5 times as large at heat capacity of quartz. On a hot sunny day,
exposed quartz would warm up more rapidly than water and warm to greater
depth but on a clear cold night in winter, exposed quartz would cool more
rapidly.

    I would expect exposed parts of a granite ledge (not insulated by snow,
mulch or organic soil) or exposed parts of a deep granite rock to have wider
temperature fluctions than rock-free soil, i.e. get colder during cold,
windy winter, warmer during hot weather and have wider diurnal fluctuations.

    Those basalt cliffs can readily draw on heat 5 metres away (as a guess)
even without water movement and provided there is flowing ground water many
hundreds of metres away. Rock weathers (becomes rotten) relatively rapidly
when constantly wet and hardly at all when seldom wet. So these volumes of
rotten basalt are likely wet or ice covered for much of the wet seasons
including winter. If the cliff base cools below the temperature of sea water
then the base will be warmed if high tide reaches the base which I think it
often does.

    This gives a snapshot of temperature of several soils. Note that snow
covered soil in Ottawa hovers around the melting point of ice.
    http://nparc.cisti-icist.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/npsi/ctrl?action=rtdoc&an=5751108

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville