[NatureNS] Updates

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 7:28:53 -0400
From: <duartess@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: Elizabeth Doull <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>

Hi Liz and all,

Have been visiting, pretty well on a daily basis, Red Bridge Pond here in Dartmouth. Both the American Coot and the Common Gallinule are present (as of yesterday anyway, Jan. 19). I, as are others, am bringing appropriate food to sustain these two birds and both appear to be active and swimming well. There is still open water, with the up and down temps, and, perhaps, that will remain the case, especially with it being beside a drainage ditch. Time will tell as the winter progresses.

Did notice another lone American Coot over by Banook Canoe Club that appeared very cold and resting in the open on the grassy bank. Someone had put a couple of suet cakes in the area and I moved them closer to the Coot. It did move into the water but when I retreated it did go to the suet cakes and was pecking at it. Later, I was able to observe that, unfortunately, both a crow and a gull were making off with the suet cakes.
Will check today before the snow comes.

Sincerely,

Gayle MacLean
Dartmouth