[NatureNS] Moon rise/set differential

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 17:23:05 -0400

Dear All,                    Jan 21, 2012
    Some years ago, while reading an Old Farmer's Almanac, I noticed that
the time between successive rises of the moon varied and, in addition, was
variously greater than or less than the time between successive moon sets.

    To try and rationalize this I made a sketch of sun, earth and moon as
viewed from 'above'. When viewed from above all motions in this sketch
(earth's orbit, earth's rotation and moon's orbit) are counterclockwise.
That didn't help.

    So I tried tabulating the daily differences etc. using the period Jan
15, 2010 to Feb 12, 2010. And for example on Jan 18 the moon rises 19
minutes later than it did on Jan 17 but sets 63 minutes later. On Feb 2 the
comparable differences are 76 and 24 minutes. But working with these numbers
still left me baffled.

    Can someone shed light on this ?

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville