[NatureNS] A day's birding on Cape Sable Island

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 20:19:06 -0400
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--0015173fe510c3d09304b726fbfa

Hi,

Today 3 Valley Guys spent 3 hours driving to CSI, 6 hours birding there,
and 3 hours driving home. It was sunny but cold, and the drive across
through New Ross this morning was particularly beautiful, with blue skies
and fresh snow on the trees.

On arrival at CSI we saw a few interesting birds, but it was finger-numbing
cold to try and take pictures (e.g. Black guillemot, Red-necked Grebe,
Harlequin Duck at the Daniel's Head wharf).  We were stopped by a Mountie
who wanted to know what we were doing, and he turned out to be a birder!
Later we went to The Hawk, where we had to walk way out through thick wet
mud on the receding tide to ID about 100 Dunlin and a few Sanderling.

Luckily when we checked Johnny Nickerson's feeders, he was there, and
guided us to some of the better birds around the area, including 2
Long-billed Dowitchers (we got within a few metres, saw the humpback shape,
extra long bills, and heard them call as they flew a short distance - got
some good close pictures), followed by a nice very white Snowy Owl back at
Daniel's Head. Back at his feeder we had a Fox Sparrow, and then went on to
Kenney Rd., where we found Swamp Sparrows and Y-R Warblers.

We searched for the Redhead at 2 locations in Barrington Passage, but
lucked out. However, a Barred Owl along the highway flying into a tree was
a good consolation prize.

We ended the day with 45 species, several new Winter list birds for 2 of
us, and a true lifer (the dowitchers) for one.

Thank you Johnny!

--
#################
Richard Stern,

--0015173fe510c3d09304b726fbfa

Hi,<br><br>Today 3 Valley Guys spent 3 hours driving to CSI, 6 hours birdin=
g there, and 3 hours driving home. It was sunny but cold, and the drive acr=
oss through New Ross this morning was particularly beautiful, with blue ski=
es and fresh snow on the trees. <br>

bing cold to try and take pictures (e.g. Black guillemot, Red-necked Grebe,=
 Harlequin Duck at the Daniel&#39;s Head wharf).=A0 We were stopped by a Mo=
untie who wanted to know what we were doing, and he turned out to be a bird=
er! Later we went to The Hawk, where we had to walk way out through thick w=
et mud on the receding tide to ID about 100 Dunlin and a few Sanderling. <b=
r>

nd guided us to some of the better birds around the area, including 2 Long-=
billed Dowitchers (we got within a few metres, saw the humpback shape, extr=
a long bills, and heard them call as they flew a short distance - got some =
good close pictures), followed by a nice very white Snowy Owl back at Danie=
l&#39;s Head. Back at his feeder we had a Fox Sparrow, and then went on to =
Kenney Rd., where we found Swamp Sparrows and Y-R Warblers.<br>

ucked out. However, a Barred Owl along the highway flying into a tree was a=
 good consolation prize. <br><br>We ended the day with 45 species, several =
new Winter list birds for 2 of us, and a true lifer (the dowitchers) for on=
e.<br>

ard Stern, <br>Port Williams, NS, Canada<br><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@=
gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br>################=
###<br>