[NatureNS] a bit more on Eagle Watch Weekend I, Sat., report

To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: "James W. Wolford" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 23:57:54 -0400

--Apple-Mail-9--537560119
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

I forgot to mention that Global TV News had a reporter, Mayya, and
videographer at the Eagle Watch, and I was interviewed as well as
Tuma Young.  But then I forgot to watch the Global suppertime TV
News.  I did catch a short newscast of Tuma & myself & eagle
photographers and gawkers on the 11 p.m. Global TV News.  Jim

Begin forwarded message:

> [...]
> Road and Canard Road (Hwy. 341), someone was feeding numbers of
> eagles with chicken carcasses at 7:30 a.m.   This is a couple of
> kilometres south from the first place that the eagle gawkers check
> out, namely the north end of Middle Dyke Road.
>
> It is there that the Swetnams put our their dead chickens after 8
> a.m. at the north end of Middle Dyke Road, which is the first place
> that gawkers and photographers expect to see large numbers of
> hungry eagles and ravens and gulls.  Not today.  There were NO
> EAGLES at that prime site until about 2 p.m. or later.  One patient
> photographer at the Swetnam field got decent photos during a very
> brief, 5-minute spurt of activity when 20+ accumulated bald eagles
> swooped over and down and onto the chickens and fed there or
> carried food into the trees.  When I got there a bit afterward, at
> about 3:20 p.m., there were only 3 adult eagles left in the trees
> and no activity, 3 great black-backed gulls on the ground but not
> near the chickens.  Quite a few carcasses were still there and
> apparently untouched.
>
> The morning inside the Sheffield Mills Community Hall was hectic
> for breakfasts, perhaps because the outside gawkers were
> frustrated.  Apparently there were about 250+ breakfasts sold.  And
> there was steady traffic and sometimes crowded conditions in the
> Hall's upstairs where the displays were,
>
> Most people were gone from the hall by about 2 p.m.  At 3:30 p.m. a
> few of us took in a very interesting illustrated lecture from
> wildlife photographer Scott Linstead of Montreal on using high-tech
> gizmos for high-speed wildlife photos and trap-photos (latter are
> where critters photograph themselves by triggering camera &
> lights).  Scott is giving that talk again tomorrow -- check out
> www.eaglens.ca and click on attractions for the details on when and
> where (7 p.m. on ground floor of community hall, wheelchair-
> accessible, $15 for admission).  Scott also has a 2010 book of his
> photos for sale.  Scott has a degree in engineering, which is a
> huge help in his various high-tech and high-speed techniques.
>
> Regarding what will happen tomorrow with the eagles etc., who
> knows?  Weather is one determinant, as is the "eagle grapevine" in
> their night-time communal roosts.  I wish I had some information
> about other areas for looking for eagles -- check out the list of
> areas sent yesterday -- no info' came in to me today on this.   I
> did check out the area of Woodside north of Canning  after 1 p.m.,
> but no eagles were encountered.
>
> Come on out and support the Sheffield Mills Community -- breakfast
> is one option, coffee and cinnamon buns are others, upstairs
> displays cost you a looney for admittance (and more if you buy
> stuff), but be sure to look for the eagles on your way to the hall,
> since generally (but not always) most feeding activity occurs
> around early to mid morning, rather than the afternoon.

--Apple-Mail-9--537560119

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">
margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" style=3D"font: =
12.0px Helvetica">I forgot to mention that <b>Global TV News</b> had a =
reporter, Mayya, and videographer at the Eagle Watch, and<b> I was =
interviewed as well as Tuma Young</b>.&nbsp; But then I forgot to watch =
the Global suppertime TV News.&nbsp; I did catch a short newscast of =
Tuma &amp; myself &amp; eagle photographers and gawkers on the 11 p.m. =
message:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Helvetica" =
size=3D"3" color=3D"#000000" style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: =
style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica">"James W. Wolford" &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:jimwolford@eastlink.ca">jimwolford@eastlink.ca</a>&gt;</fon=
t></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: =
0px; margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" =
color=3D"#000000" style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: =
style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica">January 28, 2012 8:41:02 PM =
AST</font></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Helvetica" =
size=3D"3" color=3D"#000000" style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: =
style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica">NatureNS &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca</a>&gt;</f=
ont></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0