Habitat conservation: was Re: [NatureNS] ?!

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 20:03:26 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_2BA4_01CCE053.64B80270

Hello All,                    Jan 31, 2012
    Just to put some balance in this discussion, and I do not wish to =
defend the hunting of animals from vehicles, it has been my experience =
(and perhaps I am out of date) that hunters and sports fishermen tend to =
willingly support conservation of habitat with their own money whereas =
naturalist organizations tend to be generous with other people's (tax) =
money.=20

    I am amused by the insinuation that there is something unsavory =
about hunting and fishing. I hope Aldo Leopold, wherever he may be, is =
suitably ashamed of himself.=20

    In general, animals become less common as a result of habitat =
impairment, not from hunting or fishing activities.=20

    Drawing on memory, The Audubon Society was founded by an editor of a =
rod and game magazine with funds (I think) drawn from rod and game =
organizations. And the nucleus of Canada's National Park system was =
established at the urging big game hunters so that large areas of high =
quality habitat would be set aside in which hunting would be prohibited.

    Based on personal experience, most people involved in rod and game =
activities have a deep appreciation of the natural world.=20

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville

   =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20