[NatureNS] Climate Change

From: "Paul S. Boyer" <psboyer@eastlink.ca>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 14:34:07 -0500
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail=_4A34E636-E4D5-4D3A-8B6F-B49881830D6D

Oh my!  More global warming stuff.  With its serious tone, it almost =
sounds humorous.  I guess a researcher must keep a straight face when =
reporting results like this, if he wishes to keep the grant-money =
flowing.

There is no evidence that birds have to evolve in order to change their =
geographic range.  That is what the author implies.  Does he think that =
birds actually evolve a map of their territory in their wee brains?  One =
thinks of the European Starling, introduced once into New York City, and =
now (little more than a century later) covering much of the continent.  =
That is not evolution, but just a population spreading into opportune =
habitat.

The obvious reason the birds in this study have not moved north as fast =
as the researchers expected, is probably that the birds are finding =
enough food where they are.  It is as simple as that.  It is not =
computerized climate charts which influence bird behavior, so much as =
food supply.

Birds found the feeders in our yard in hours or days.  They did not need =
to evolve to adapt to the new food source: they are opportunistic, and =
always on the lookout.  They also learn: that is why we noticed the =
birds lurking close to the house as the weather cooled this fall, =
looking for the feeders which we had not yet set up for the season.

It is simply ridiculous to suggest that the insects are moving north =
faster than the birds because the insects are evolving faster.  And, the =
author implies, the birds will not now be able to find those insects who =
have outpaced them in the race to move northward!  No, the birds can =
find their food: they even learn new food supplies, as the chickadees =
have learned to eat the caterpillars of the Gypsy Moth.  I have seen =
birds exploit new food sources merely by watching birds of other =
species.  How long did that take?  In some cases, but a few minutes!

(Lund University, by the way, is normally regarded as one of the most =
renowned in Sweden.)

Birds are fun to study, but any honest ornithologist must admit that =
they are not a good index of climatic change.  As climatologists have =
known for over a century, plants are the best index of climate, because =
they cannot migrate and move about: they are stuck where they are =
growing.  We know from pollen studies that shifting climates of the past =
are well documented by changes in plant distribution.

Birds are very mobile, and most of them are really quite adaptable.  =
They are about the poorest group of organisms to study for hints about =
climatic change.

On 30 Jan 2012, at 7:23 AM, Angus MacLean wrote:

> This describes a study by Swedish researchers re birds & butterflies:
>=20
> http://www.world-science.net/othernews/120117_warming
>=20
> Have there been similar studies in this hemisphere?
> Angus
>=20

--Apple-Mail=_4A34E636-E4D5-4D3A-8B6F-B49881830D6D

-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">Oh =
my! &nbsp;More global warming stuff. &nbsp;With its serious tone, it =
almost sounds humorous. &nbsp;I guess a researcher must keep a straight =
face when reporting results like this, if he wishes to keep the =
have to evolve in order to change their geographic range. &nbsp;That is =
what the author implies. &nbsp;Does he think that birds actually evolve =
a map of their territory in their wee brains? &nbsp;One thinks of the =
European Starling, introduced once into New York City, and now (little =
more than a century later) covering much of the continent. &nbsp;That is =
not evolution, but just a population spreading into opportune =
study have not moved north as fast as the researchers expected, is =
probably that the birds are finding enough food where they are. &nbsp;It =
is as simple as that. &nbsp;It is not computerized climate charts which =
influence bird behavior, so much as food =
hours or days. &nbsp;They did not need to evolve to adapt to the new =
food source: they are opportunistic, and always on the lookout. =
&nbsp;They also learn: that is why we noticed the birds lurking close to =
the house as the weather cooled this fall, looking for the feeders which =
simply ridiculous to suggest that the insects are moving north faster =
than the birds because the insects are evolving faster. &nbsp;And, the =
author implies, the birds will not now be able to find those insects who =
have outpaced them in the race to move northward! &nbsp;No, the birds =
can find their food: they even learn new food supplies, as the =
chickadees have learned to eat the caterpillars of the Gypsy Moth. =
&nbsp;I have seen birds exploit new food sources merely by watching =
birds of other species. &nbsp;How long did that take? &nbsp;In some =
the way, is normally regarded as one of the most renowned in =
ornithologist must admit that they are <i>not</i> a good index of =
climatic change. &nbsp;As climatologists have known for over a century, =
plants are the best index of climate, because they cannot migrate and =
move about: they are stuck where they are growing. &nbsp;We know from =
pollen studies that shifting climates of the past are well documented by =
mobile, and most of them are really quite adaptable. &nbsp;They are =
about the poorest group of organisms to study for hints about climatic =
AM, Angus MacLean wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div>This =
describes a study by Swedish researchers re birds &amp; =
butterflies:<br><br><a =
href=3D"http://www.world-science.net/othernews/120117_warming">http://www.=
similar studies in this =