[NatureNS] Owls this morning

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 12:21:01 -0400
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,

--0016e68ee208ec5b2704b89e84d9

Hi,

This morning started off well with a Gt.Horned Owl calling from somewhere
behind the house in the early hours. Once it got light enough to see
silhouettes, I could see that it was perched in our lone tall poplar, the
one which in the past has hosted all 3 accipiters. I was able to get a
totally silhouetted shot using 30 sec. exposure time and ISO1600. Then it
flew.

Mid-morning I went to Grand Pre, at the spot Rick Whitman had seen a
Short-eared owl. There were actually 4!

Photos of both are here -

http://richard-s.smugmug.com/Nature/Winter-2011-12-Birds-and/20880608_RpTxfb#!i=1705934972&k=TLv2Lt9
and the subsequent 3. As usual with Smugmug, click on the right hand
picture for a bigger version.

One of the nice things about all this was the general ambience. At dawn,
the stars were visible, the moon was bright, the snow reflected the glint
of the moon, and the owl was sillhouetted in the tree and hooting, with the
setting moon above it. Later, at Grand Pre, it was a brilliantly sunny
morning with bright blue sky and crisp white snow, no wind, and there was
even some heat in the sun. (The photos of the Short-ears were into the sun
- that's why the sky doesn't look blue).

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

--0016e68ee208ec5b2704b89e84d9

Hi,<br><br>This morning started off well with a Gt.Horned Owl calling from =
somewhere behind the house in the early hours. Once it got light enough to =
see silhouettes, I could see that it was perched in our lone tall poplar, t=
he one which in the past has hosted all 3 accipiters. I was able to get a t=
otally silhouetted shot using 30 sec. exposure time and ISO1600. Then it fl=
ew.<br>

ort-eared owl. There were actually 4! <br><br>Photos of both are here - <br=
d/20880608_RpTxfb#!i=3D1705934972&amp;k=3DTLv2Lt9">http://richard-s.smugmug=
.com/Nature/Winter-2011-12-Birds-and/20880608_RpTxfb#!i=3D1705934972&amp;k=
=3DTLv2Lt9</a>=A0=A0 and the subsequent 3. As usual with Smugmug, click on =
the right hand picture for a bigger version.<br>

, the stars were visible, the moon was bright, the snow reflected the glint=
 of the moon, and the owl was sillhouetted in the tree and hooting, with th=
e setting moon above it. Later, at Grand Pre, it was a brilliantly sunny mo=
rning with bright blue sky and crisp white snow, no wind, and there was eve=
n some heat in the sun. (The photos of the Short-ears were into the sun - t=
hat&#39;s why the sky doesn&#39;t look blue).<br>

--0016e68ee208ec5b2704b89e84d9--