[NatureNS] Gaspereau River path; little fish

From: Nancy Roberts <nancy.roberts@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 08:36:55 -0400

Hello,,

Yesterday we walked a trail along the Gaspereau. It starts at a bridge
I believe near White Rock and runs upstream. I'm told it goes about 11
km and then stops. I've never met anyone who has been to the end.

One question: who made this lovely trail and who maintains it? One
brief place on a steep slope has a drystone wall supporting the low
side, so it was a fair amount of trouble at some point.

Second question: I left the trail to peer into a shallow side channel,
nearly a stillwater, very clear. It had a clean stone bottom, so there
must be more current when the water is a bit higher. It also appeared
to have more sun than average, since it was completely ice-free, while
the river was about 80% covered. I was surprised to see a small school
of fish, 1" – 1 1/4" long. "Just plain fish," the colour of the
bottom, visible more easily by their black shadows on the bottom than
by their corpuses. Would they have hatched this year? overwintered?

Cheers,

Nancy

Nancy Roberts Design
Celebrating 19 years of making you look GOOD

Dartmouth, NS B2Y 2X6
902 461-9488