[NatureNS] Nature notes Liscomb sanct., Sober I. - Feb.

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 12:07:10 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_00CC_01CCF2EC.D661D080

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all
Charlie Kendell and I did a little birding trip yesterday from =
Stellarton through the Liscomb Game Sanctuary to Sober I. driving as far =
up the eastern shore as Harrigan Cove. Our goal for the day was to see =
if "Old Whitey" was back for another visit to his wintering grounds on =
Sober I. See below for the story.

We stopped for a couple of quick stops  on the drive from Lorne to Sheet =
Harbour- a Red-tailed Hawk lifted from the ditch with a rodent, a single =
Snow Bunting from the road shoulder and White-winged Crossbills and Pine =
Siskins near the turn-off to Seloams L.=20

A feeder near the church on St. Andrew's loop had 5 White-throated =
Sparrows, a Song Sparrow and 35 Goldfinches.=20

On Sober I. we recorded 39 species with the following highlights" 7 =
Great Cormorants incl. many with the white flank patch,  only 5 Black =
Guillemot, but one in almost full alt. plumage, 26 Iceland Gulls ( =
mostly adults), 4 Harlequin ( 1 male, 3 female), an American Wigeon, 66 =
Greater Scaup and 13 Purple Sandpiper.=20
On our walk out along the shore, we had flushed 2 shorebirds that we =
were pretty sure were PUSA, but when we reached the end of the shore =
hike, Charlie said "your not going to believe what I see"- "Old Whitey" =
was standing high on a rock and 2 other PUSA were nearby. This unusually =
plumaged PUSA was first seen by a group of us on Sober I. Feb 17, 2002 =
and nicely photographed at the time by Gary Murray. It is quite easy to =
pick out with quite white wings and dark head and breast. I have seen it =
a number of times since that date with Feb.11, 2006, Feb 14, 1010, Feb. =
27, 2011 and Feb. 23 2012. I have not looked through all my note books, =
but there may be other dates as well. Yesterday were able to sneak up on =
the birds and get some close photos and the 3 were joined by 10 others =
as the tide dropped.=20

At Port Dufferin we saw a lingering Dovekie.=20

A stop near the south end of the Liscomb Sanctuary on the way home =
produced a flock of 40 Common Redpoll, a flock of 15 White-winged =
Crossbills with a couple of singing males.=20
WW Crossbills were also noted at a couple of other stops in the =
sanctuary. Near the north gate of the sanctuary, a small ST Weasel ran =
across the road and disappeared quickly in the snow of the bank of the =
ditch.
------=_NextPart_000_00CC_01CCF2EC.D661D080

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton =
NS<BR>B0K=20
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Charlie Kendell and I did a little =
birding trip=20
yesterday from Stellarton through the Liscomb Game Sanctuary to Sober I. =
driving=20
as far up the eastern shore as Harrigan Cove. Our goal for the day was =
to see if=20
"Old Whitey" was back for another visit to his wintering grounds on =
Sober I. See=20
below for the story.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>We stopped for a couple of quick =
stops&nbsp; on the=20
drive from Lorne to Sheet Harbour- a <STRONG>Red-tailed Hawk</STRONG> =
lifted=20
from the ditch with a rodent, a single <STRONG>Snow Bunting</STRONG> =
from the=20
road shoulder and <STRONG>White-winged Crossbills</STRONG> and =
<STRONG>Pine=20
Siskins</STRONG> near the turn-off to Seloams L. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>A feeder near the church on St. =
Andrew's loop had 5=20
<STRONG>White-throated Sparrows</STRONG>, a <STRONG>Song =
Sparrow</STRONG> and 35=20
<STRONG>Goldfinches.</STRONG> </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>On Sober I. we recorded 39 species with =
the=20
following highlights" 7<STRONG> Great Cormorants</STRONG> incl. many =
with the=20
white flank patch,&nbsp; only 5 <STRONG>Black Guillemot</STRONG>, but =
one in=20
almost full alt. plumage, 26 <STRONG>Iceland Gulls</STRONG> ( mostly =
adults), 4=20
<STRONG>Harlequin</STRONG> ( 1 male, 3 female), an <STRONG>American=20
Wigeon</STRONG>, 66 <STRONG>Greater Scaup</STRONG> and 13 <STRONG>Purple =

Sandpiper</STRONG>. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>On our walk out along the shore, we had =
flushed 2=20
shorebirds that we were pretty sure were PUSA, but when we reached the =
end of=20
the shore hike, Charlie said "your not going to believe what I see"- =
"Old=20
Whitey" was standing high on a rock and 2 other PUSA were nearby. This =
unusually=20
plumaged PUSA was first seen by a group of us on Sober I. Feb 17, 2002 =
and=20
nicely photographed at the time by Gary Murray. It&nbsp;is quite easy to =
pick=20
out with quite white wings and dark head and breast. I have seen it a =
number of=20
times since that date with Feb.11, 2006, Feb 14, 1010, Feb. 27, 2011 and =
Feb. 23=20
2012. I have not looked through all my note books, but there may be =
other dates=20
as well.&nbsp;Yesterday were able to sneak up on the birds and get some =
close=20
photos and&nbsp;the 3 were joined by 10 others as the tide dropped.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>At Port Dufferin we saw a lingering=20
<STRONG>Dovekie</STRONG>. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>A stop near the south end of the =
Liscomb Sanctuary=20
on the way home produced a flock of 40 <STRONG>Common Redpoll</STRONG>, =
a flock=20
of 15 <STRONG>White-winged Crossbills</STRONG> with a couple of singing =
males.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>WW Crossbills were also noted at a =
couple of other=20
stops in the sanctuary. Near the north gate of the sanctuary, a small ST =
Weasel=20
ran across the road and disappeared quickly in the snow of the bank of =
the=20
ditch. </DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00CC_01CCF2EC.D661D080--