[NatureNS] A morning's South Mountain birding

Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of sternrichard@gmail.com designates 10.50.135.71 as permitted sender) client-ip=10.50.135.71;
From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 14:46:55 -0400
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--e89a8f83aae986286404b9ba30ed

This morning Rick Whitman and I went searching for some boreal forest
species I still needed for my winter bird list, and that he has already
seen. We drove to a logging road in Greenfield (S. of Gaspereau) and
started walking. Rick, and Bernard Forsythe, had seen BLACK_BACKED
WOODPECKERS farther up the trail in previous years. A RUFFED GROUSE  flew
across. EVENING GROSBEAKS were flying over. But within 5 minutes of
starting, there was a M. Black-backed happily peeling bark off a downed
tree right by the trail. Then a few moments later came my 2nd needed
species - RED_BREASTED NUTHATCHES, in with a flock of Black-capped
chickadees. We continued along the trail anyway, and soon came across a
female Black-backed as well! Both birds seemed oblivious to our presence,
and we soon left them alone. Also present were a singing BROWN CREEPER and
a G-C KINGLET.

We then drove up the Black River Lake road, and walked into Mud Lake Bog, a
half hour walk along an icy road then through the woods. Rick had seen
White-winged crossbills there recently, but we had no luck. We heard the
whistle of a GRAY JAY but couldn't entice him to come any closer. Only
Chickadees and a DOWNY WOODPECKER. An occasional calling PINE SISKIN flew
over.On the way out were several RAVENS displaying. The weather was fine,
the snow was crunchy, and the woods looked beautiful. On the drive back to
Wolfville we noticed some very bright PURPLE FINCHES at a feeder.

I have put some BBWO and Mud Lake pictures here -
http://richard-s.smugmug.com/Nature/Winter-2011-12-Birds-and/20880608_RpTxfb#!i=1723837015&k=mHfH5Sn
and subsequent few images.

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

--e89a8f83aae986286404b9ba30ed

This morning Rick Whitman and I went searching for some boreal forest speci=
es I still needed for my winter bird list, and that he has already seen. We=
 drove to a logging road in Greenfield (S. of Gaspereau) and started walkin=
g. Rick, and Bernard Forsythe, had seen BLACK_BACKED WOODPECKERS farther up=
 the trail in previous years. A RUFFED GROUSE=A0 flew across. EVENING GROSB=
EAKS were flying over. But within 5 minutes of starting, there was a M. Bla=
ck-backed happily peeling bark off a downed tree right by the trail. Then a=
 few moments later came my 2nd needed species - RED_BREASTED NUTHATCHES, in=
 with a flock of Black-capped chickadees. We continued along the trail anyw=
ay, and soon came across a female Black-backed as well! Both birds seemed o=
blivious to our presence, and we soon left them alone. Also present were a =
singing BROWN CREEPER and a G-C KINGLET.<br>

g, a half hour walk along an icy road then through the woods. Rick had seen=
 White-winged crossbills there recently, but we had no luck. We heard the w=
histle of a GRAY JAY but couldn&#39;t entice him to come any closer. Only C=
hickadees and a DOWNY WOODPECKER. An occasional calling PINE SISKIN flew ov=
er.On the way out were several RAVENS displaying. The weather was fine, the=
 snow was crunchy, and the woods looked beautiful. On the drive back to Wol=
fville we noticed some very bright PURPLE FINCHES at a feeder.<br>

richard-s.smugmug.com/Nature/Winter-2011-12-Birds-and/20880608_RpTxfb#!i=3D=
1723837015&amp;k=3DmHfH5Sn">http://richard-s.smugmug.com/Nature/Winter-2011=
-12-Birds-and/20880608_RpTxfb#!i=3D1723837015&amp;k=3DmHfH5Sn</a>=A0 and su=
bsequent few images.<br>

--e89a8f83aae986286404b9ba30ed--