[NatureNS] Red-shouldered Hawks

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 03:54:10 +0000

--_4bde1d9d-8581-494a-bd55-80a43df56f03_

Hi all:
=20
I had the priviledge of viewing a pair of red-shouldered hawks today.  Abou=
t a week or so ago I received an email from a lady who wanted to know what =
two hawks were that had been coming for meat offerings on her railing from =
Nov. - late Feb or early March for the last six years.  Recent photos=2C wh=
ich I sent through to Ian and Eric revealed these birds to be red-shouldere=
d hawks.  Incidently I believe these hawks bred there.  The first year a yo=
ung one with a broken wing was found at the edge of the property.  Unfortun=
ately this bird did not survive.  The lady does not want anyone else to com=
e to her property this year=2C but she has promised that next Nov. onwards =
after they show up that she will allow me to bring people to the property t=
o see the birds.  That is by appointment with her and her knowing in advanc=
e.  These hawks usually disappear sometime soon and do not show up again un=
til November.  If anyone wants to try for these birds I can tell you that t=
hey are present in the area of Wentzell's Lake=2C which is on the road towa=
rds New Germany.  There is a park beside the lake right off the main road=
=2C that if you are there in the morning you might stand a chance at seeing=
 the hawks as they usually head off over the lake after they leave the ladi=
es property.  This would be sometime around 10:00 as they usually arrive at=
 the property around 09:00 in the morning.  If you are lucky enough to see =
which property they leave from or go to=2C I would ask that you do not go t=
o that property as she would be very upset by this and it will ruin my bein=
g able to take anyone there next winter.  All the best to all=2C
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater 		 	   		  =

--_4bde1d9d-8581-494a-bd55-80a43df56f03_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
<FONT size=3D3>Hi all:</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>I had the priviledge of viewing a pair of red-shouldered haw=
ks today.&nbsp=3B About a week or so ago I received an email from a lady wh=
o wanted to know what two hawks were that had been coming for meat offering=
s on her railing from Nov. - late Feb or early March for the last six years=
.&nbsp=3B Recent photos=2C which I sent through to Ian and Eric revealed th=
ese birds to be red-shouldered hawks.&nbsp=3B Incidently I believe these ha=
wks bred there.&nbsp=3B The first year a young one with a broken wing was f=
ound at the edge of the property.&nbsp=3B Unfortunately this bird did not s=
urvive.&nbsp=3B The lady does not want anyone else to come to her property =
this year=2C but she has promised that next Nov. onwards after they show up=
 that she will allow me to bring people to the property to see the birds.&n=
bsp=3B That is by appointment with her and her knowing in advance.&nbsp=3B =
These hawks usually disappear sometime soon and do not show up again until =
November.&nbsp=3B If anyone wants to try for these birds I can tell you tha=
t they are present in the area of Wentzell's Lake=2C which is on the road t=
owards New Germany.&nbsp=3B There is a park beside the lake right off the m=
ain road=2C that if you are there in the morning you might stand a chance a=
t seeing the hawks as they usually head off over the lake after they leave =
the ladies property.&nbsp=3B This would be sometime around 10:00 as they us=
ually arrive at the property around 09:00 in the morning.&nbsp=3B If you ar=
e lucky enough to see which property they leave from or go to=2C I would as=
k that you do not go to that property as she would be very upset by this an=
d it will ruin my being able to take anyone there next winter.&nbsp=3B All =
the best to all=2C</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>James R. Hirtle</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3>Bridgewater</FONT><BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_4bde1d9d-8581-494a-bd55-80a43df56f03_--