[NatureNS] The massive gull flock off the Canning Road, Kings Co.

Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of sternrichard@gmail.com designates 10.50.158.195 as permitted sender) client-ip=10.50.158.195;
From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 14:03:23 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--14dae9340641282be604ba0a0c50

Hi,

That flock is in the area all and every winter, although at times there are
more along Fred Thomas Rd., and at times some are elsewhere in the
neighborhood. I have usually managed to find at least 1 LBBG and the odd
Glaucous (although not this year), but often the flock is close to where
stopping the car is dangerous, and if you get out and walk, they generally
fly. Also, there are many Bald eagles in the area, and when one flies by,
the gulls tend to fly too. Also, trying to scan every gull in a flock that
big when they're continually moving is an exercise in frustration. So
actually, trying to find vagrants is pretty hard.  I have noticed that the
number of Iceland gulls flying over Port Williams and along the Cornwallis
River (possibly to the New Minas Sewage Ponds, but access is prohibited)
seems very high this winter.

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

--14dae9340641282be604ba0a0c50

Hi,<br><br>That flock is in the area all and every winter, although at time=
s there are more along Fred Thomas Rd., and at times some are elsewhere in =
the neighborhood. I have usually managed to find at least 1 LBBG and the od=
d Glaucous (although not this year), but often the flock is close to where =
stopping the car is dangerous, and if you get out and walk, they generally =
fly. Also, there are many Bald eagles in the area, and when one flies by, t=
he gulls tend to fly too. Also, trying to scan every gull in a flock that b=
ig when they&#39;re continually moving is an exercise in frustration. So ac=
tually, trying to find vagrants is pretty hard.=A0 I have noticed that the =
number of Iceland gulls flying over Port Williams and along the Cornwallis =
River (possibly to the New Minas Sewage Ponds, but access is prohibited) se=
ems very high this winter.<br>

 PM,  <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:iamclar@dal.ca">iamclar@dal.c=
n:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

All:<br>
On a trip to Kentville yesterday to deliver something, Bernice McLaren and =
I visited a few local areas. Didn&#39;t see anything unexpected, but a =A0R=
ough-legged Hawk hovering close by near Potrt Williams was a pleasing sight=
 for B as well as I.<br>

However, I did take an overlapping series of photos across the traditional =
large roost of gulls in fields west of the road between Port Williams and C=
anning. Then, for a casual approximation of numbers I stitched them togethe=
r as a panorama and counted gulls strips constituting about 29% of the tota=
l length. Thus I came up with a total of about 3040.<br>

This could be done by sampling with more statistical rigour, and some of my=
 counts were a bit iffy because of poor resolution. Someone else with bette=
r telephoto facilities could do better, but it serves to suggest that this =
is the largest flock than I have =A0ever seen in the province.<br>

I&#39;ll bet it includes at least one of every vagrant N. Hemisphere =A0gul=
l {:&gt;} .<br>
Ian McLaren<br>
to:sternrichard@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br>=

--14dae9340641282be604ba0a0c50--