[NatureNS] Looking for Track Identification Help

Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 17:02:12 -0400
From: Dusan Soudek <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Jamie, Paul, all others;
   in my experience otter tracks on snowy, level ground always include tail drag-marks. Otters simply cannot or will not keep their tails up when travelling. And often slide, doing the hop-slide thing which makes their tracks quite easy to ID. Will have to check my Peterson guide at home, but I am thinking of fisher. Raccoons have much longer fingers, as Jamie rightly point out.
   Dusan Soudek

P.S. Does anyone remember the details of the encounter between a fisher and a walker in Truro's Victoria Park a few months (or years) ago? Apparently the story made the local paper.

---- Paul MacDonald <paulrita2001@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Jamie and All
My source of tracks say otter.
She emailed
My first guess would be otter. Its hard to tell without the stride length/gait visible.
 Otter is nice and round, very solid prints, but obviously spaced far apart between the front and back feet.
Sounds about right
Paul