[NatureNS] Feebee calls and Bohemian Waxwings

Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 09:52:51 -0500
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

On 3/9/2012 8:58 AM, desolatechair@gmail.com wrote:

> In my family we refer to this as the 'cheeeseburger' call and it's a
> greatly anticipated early sign of spring by my kids. I also find
> nonbirder friend easily recognize and enjoy it as a mnemonic device. Try
> it and see!

* we call it "feebee" and consider it a sign of winter, since here the
Chickadees start to give it around or just after the time of the winter
solstice, though the frequency and intensity increases through the
winter,and through the year until fall. We've been tracking this ever
since we went out on a limb and affirmed this pattern in
http://pinicola.ca/books/#WSD

fred.

--

fred