[NatureNS] Oakland Area

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 20:04:13 +0000

--_a08e206b-f48d-49aa-8728-91b8c2b56c0e_

The most exciting thing for me today=2C while out birding=2C was discoverin=
g a wonderful ecosystem that I was unaware of.  There is a trail that I bir=
d quite often at Oakland during the run of a year.  Usually I find good bir=
ds in migration and do not venture far into the trail on either side.  Well=
 today it was pretty quiet and mother nature called.  This particular trail=
 was a good spot to go and I walked in further then I usually would to a sm=
all bridge.  I noticed a brook there and looking up the road it looked like=
 it widened.  Curiousity led me further along and what should I discover bu=
t a wonderful lake with a nice marshy ecosystem and lots of dead trees clos=
e to the trail.  A perfect spot for potential northern waterthrush and oliv=
e-sided flycatchers.   I can hardly wait to visit there during the summer a=
nd cringe at all of the good birds that I've likely missed due to not ventu=
ring further in past years.  =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater 		 	   		  =

--_a08e206b-f48d-49aa-8728-91b8c2b56c0e_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
The most exciting thing for me today=2C while&nbsp=3Bout birding=2C was dis=
covering a wonderful ecosystem that I was unaware of.&nbsp=3B There is a tr=
ail that I bird quite often at Oakland&nbsp=3Bduring the run of a year.&nbs=
p=3B Usually I find good birds in migration and do not&nbsp=3Bventure far i=
nto the trail on either side.&nbsp=3B Well&nbsp=3Btoday it was pretty quiet=
 and mother nature called.&nbsp=3B This particular trail was a good spot to=
 go and I walked in further then I usually would to a small bridge.&nbsp=3B=
 I noticed a brook there and looking up the road it looked like it widened.=
&nbsp=3B Curiousity led me further along and what should I discover but a w=
onderful lake with a nice marshy ecosystem and lots of dead trees close to =
the trail.&nbsp=3B A perfect spot for potential northern waterthrush and ol=
ive-sided flycatchers.&nbsp=3B &nbsp=3BI can hardly wait to visit there dur=
ing the summer and cringe at all of the good birds that I've likely missed =
due to not venturing further in past years.&nbsp=3B &nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bridgewater<BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_a08e206b-f48d-49aa-8728-91b8c2b56c0e_--