[NatureNS] 2 more eagle nests checked, cedar waxwings,

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 05:43:20 -0300
From: James Churchill <jameslchurchill@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--f46d0447a131b77cda04bb2ff73d

Hi folks,
Yesterday, adult Bald Eagle carrying large stick over main building of
research station , heading towards south end of ravine. I know others have
mentioned a frequently-occupied nest back there, and will see if I can
track it down.
Cheers

On Wednesday, March 14, 2012, James W. Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
wrote:
> MARCH 13, 2012 - Close to home I saw about 30 cedar waxwings very
closely, as they fed upon lots of mountain-ash berries on a lawn -- how
long those berries were on the ground, I can't say, but probably for at
least weeks? -- I saw one case of one waxwing feeding another (courtship
feeding?).
> I checked two more local bald eagle nests, nos. 8 & 9 for my list from
yesterday:
> (8) straight south of or slightly southwest from the Stirling's Farm
Market, Greenwich -- the view is quite distant, across the large open
field, and the nest is in a pine just behind a conspicuous dead tree that
has lost most of its branches -- there definitely was an adult eagle at the
nest, but I couldn't discern its position -- probably not incubating yet?;
and
> (9) KenWo Golf Course, New Minas, along north side of fairway on hole #14
(east from the clubhouse) -- nest in a big white pine in a small forest of
white pines with oodles of cones on the ground -- no eagles were visible at
the nest, but I was looking upward at the nest rim couldn't see what might
have been in the nest cup -- probably no occupancy yet?
> Concerning other known King's County bald eagle nests:
> (10) Ian McKay has told us the eagles at Scots' Bay have been attending
that nest for a week or so;
> (11) Perhaps Rob Stevens? can let us know if the eagles are again
attending the cliff nest at Blomidon (well south of the prov. park)?;
> (12) And I will check on another nest I know that is north and a bit west
of Waterville.
> I am probably forgetting about another nest site or two -- one we know of
is just northwest of the Windsor Causeway -- Pat Kelly, is that one
occupied yet?
> If anyone knows of other local eagle nest sites especially for eastern
King's County, please let me know, and I will keep the provincial Dept. of
Nat. Resources on this.  Thanks in advance!
> Most of the nests I know can be checked with a scope without leaving my
car, but not the two I checked today at Greenwich and New Minas.
> ------------------------------
> Also I took four digital photos of at least two varieties, yellow vs.
rusty orange, of flowering witch-hazel (planted), in the Clock Park of
Wolfville, across Main St. from the Baptist Church.

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

--f46d0447a131b77cda04bb2ff73d

Hi folks,<br>Yesterday, adult Bald Eagle carrying large stick over main bui=
lding of research station , heading towards south end of ravine. I know oth=
ers have mentioned a frequently-occupied nest back there, and will see if I=
 can track it down.<br>
Cheers<br><br>On Wednesday, March 14, 2012, James W. Wolford &lt;<a href=3D=
"mailto:jimwolford@eastlink.ca">jimwolford@eastlink.ca</a>&gt; wrote:<br>&g=
t; MARCH 13, 2012 - Close to home I saw about 30 cedar waxwings very closel=
y, as they fed upon lots of mountain-ash berries on a lawn -- how long thos=
e berries were on the ground, I can&#39;t say, but probably for at least we=
eks? -- I saw one case of one waxwing feeding another (courtship feeding?).=
&gt; I checked two more local bald eagle nests, nos. 8 &amp; 9 for my list =
from yesterday:<br>&gt; (8) straight south of or slightly southwest from th=
e Stirling&#39;s Farm Market, Greenwich -- the view is quite distant, acros=
s the large open field, and the nest is in a pine just behind a conspicuous=
 dead tree that has lost most of its branches -- there definitely was an ad=
ult eagle at the nest, but I couldn&#39;t discern its position -- probably =
not incubating yet?; and<br>
&gt; (9) KenWo Golf Course, New Minas, along north side of fairway on hole =
#14 (east from the clubhouse) -- nest in a big white pine in a small forest=
 of white pines with oodles of cones on the ground -- no eagles were visibl=
e at the nest, but I was looking upward at the nest rim couldn&#39;t see wh=
at might have been in the nest cup -- probably no occupancy yet?<br>
&gt; Concerning other known King&#39;s County bald eagle nests:<br>&gt; (10=
) Ian McKay has told us the eagles at Scots&#39; Bay have been attending th=
at nest for a week or so;<br>&gt; (11) Perhaps Rob Stevens? can let us know=
 if the eagles are again attending the cliff nest at Blomidon (well south o=
f the prov. park)?;<br>
&gt; (12) And I will check on another nest I know that is north and a bit w=
est of Waterville.<br>&gt; I am probably forgetting about another nest site=
 or two -- one we know of is just northwest of the Windsor Causeway -- Pat =
Kelly, is that one occupied yet?<br>
&gt; If anyone knows of other local eagle nest sites especially for eastern=
 King&#39;s County, please let me know, and I will keep the provincial Dept=
. of Nat. Resources on this.=A0 Thanks in advance!<br>&gt; Most of the nest=
s I know can be checked with a scope without leaving my car, but not the tw=
o I checked today at Greenwich and New Minas.<br>
&gt; ------------------------------<br>&gt; Also I took four digital photos=
 of at least two varieties, yellow vs. rusty orange, of flowering witch-haz=
el (planted), in the Clock Park of Wolfville, across Main St. from the Bapt=
ist Church.=A0<br>

--f46d0447a131b77cda04bb2ff73d--