[NatureNS] Location

From: ulli@dunlin.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 21:00:21 -0300

. Ne
I can only second the following remark !

> Having the location, date, and observer's name clear in the e-mail is not only
> helpful to general readers or others in that area, but to editors for Nova Scotia Birds or North
> American Birds who may find the records useful.

However, to do my job as seasonal editor for NSBirds I don't need to know down to the inch
which particular rock I would have to turn to find whatever is hidden underneath.  So the
closest geographical reference point that can be found on a map will serve the purpose, my
purpose as seasonal editor for NSBirds.

As birder and naturalist I also appreciate the vague information that is sometimes given (e.g.
in the Kentville area) as it may serve to protect vulnerable habitat or species from being
watched to extinction, or to keep visitors from not being welcome anymore by stressed out
property owners. As pointed out above this degree of geographical resolution is sufficient for
the  scale of record keeping in NSBirds etc..

I also appreciate the detailed directions given sometimes, if the posting observer feels this
can be done safely for everyone involved. If this is not the case, and it is the observers call,
read the paragraph above again.

For all those that like to report and get sightings on record, but don't want to do it here or on
other mailing lists to avoid being drilled for more specific directions by the hunters and
gatherers in the crowd, please feel free to use the online reporting form that can be found on
the Bird Society website  http://nsbs.chebucto.org/reports.html

Even if it is still a momentary information loss for the naturalist community, sightings are still
going on record for the long term use. Information collected this way is send to seasonal
editors after the reporting season ended and the time has come to write up the seasonal
summary.  By the time these get published the individual sighting reports are "outdated" by
weeks or even months, still useful for keeping track on movements and such over time, but
unlikely to start a feeding frenzy.

My $0.02

Ulli