RE:[NatureNS] Invasives

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 21:24:00 -0300

Hi Lance & All,                    March 21, 2012
    This is a swamp of questions that will predictably generate much heat
and little light. But interesting all the same.

    I have come to believe, by lessons often learned the hard way, that if
you comprehend a system well enough to ask meaningful objective questions
then you know it as fully as it can be known.

    And, in that same vein, if the questions posed are not entirely free of
prejudice then the conclusions will be nothing more than prejudice dressed
up in a suit and tie.

    It was fashionable e.g. in the 50's to 'prove' that animals were simply
machines that processed stimuli and from these generated responses. And if
the experimenter tabulates every change in environment as a stimulus and
tabulates everything the animal subsequently does as a response then he/she
'proves the model to be true'.

    After that preamble one can think about invasive species. To objectively
evaluate a suspect species one must get rid of the invasive or even alien
label (because both labels bristle with prejudice) and simply ask how does
this species behave and interact with soil, biota etc.

    Some of these species, such as Rhamnus frangula, are weedy but if their
vigorous 'invasions' conserve nutrients and enrich a future forest soil the
overall effects may be positive even if use of the fruit as a favoured fall
bird food is discounted.

    Many so called invasives, such as Polygonum cuspidatum (Japanese
Knotweed) and Lythrum salicaria (Purple Loosestrife) simply move onto
disturbed soil generated by that truly invasive species; Homo sapiens or are
moved by that species as highway fill etc.

Yt, Dave Webster Kentville