[NatureNS] Red shouldered hawk

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 02:20:03 +0000

--_4aabe1ae-b016-423c-b129-1d3ec4043261_

Hi Tuma and all:
=20
I was present when Beatrice took the photo of the hawk.  It was quite the f=
eat as when the adults came in for the food they were there one second and =
gone the next.  They came almost faster then the blink of an eye and I had =
a job to even catch them through my binoculars.  At the first attempt by Be=
atrice for a photo she missed the opportunity altogether.  She had two came=
ras and was experimenting with both to try and see which would work better.=
  She definitely did an amazing job and some of the other photos that she t=
ook were grand as well.  I was priviledged to be able to see the red-should=
ered hawk yesterday morning and also this morning.  The male is now carryin=
g food for the female=2C who is sitting on a nest somewhere.  Where the nes=
t location is will be like finding a needle in a haystack.  I know the dire=
ction of travel and have an idea of where the bird disappears over the top =
of a ridge.   The male is not gone long before coming back so the nest loca=
tion is not too far away.  With a gps and taking a bearing back to the road=
 in regards to the line of the travel I should be able to narrow it down a =
bit=2C when time allows.  At this stage in the game I do not want to distur=
b the routine of the male.  The only purpose of finding the nest will be fo=
r the Maritimes Nest Record Scheme and to confirm if breeding is successful=
 or not=2C without disturbing the pair in any way.  It has been a real deli=
ght for me to be able to observe the pair earlier and to now be able to obs=
erve the male as he carries food for his mate. =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater
=20

> Subject: [NatureNS] Red shouldered hawk
> From: tumayoung@yahoo.ca
> Date: Sat=2C 31 Mar 2012 15:46:45 -0300
> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
>=20
> Hi everyone. I'm sitting in the kicking horse cafe in Mahone bay looking =
at a picture of red shouldered hawk on the cover of the lighthouse log=2C a=
 local paper . The picture was taken near wentzells lake earlier in the mon=
th by a Beatrice schular.=20
>=20
> Tuma=20
>=20
> Sent from my iPhone
 		 	   		  =

--_4aabe1ae-b016-423c-b129-1d3ec4043261_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
Hi Tuma and all:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I was present when Beatrice took the photo of the hawk.&nbsp=3B It was quit=
e the feat as&nbsp=3Bwhen the&nbsp=3Badults came in for the food they were =
there one second and gone the next.&nbsp=3B They came almost faster then th=
e&nbsp=3Bblink of an eye and I had a job to even catch them through my bino=
culars.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BAt the first attempt by Beatrice for a photo she mis=
sed the opportunity altogether.&nbsp=3B She had two cameras and was experim=
enting with&nbsp=3Bboth to try and see which would work better.&nbsp=3B&nbs=
p=3BShe definitely did an amazing job and some of the other photos that she=
 took were grand as&nbsp=3Bwell.&nbsp=3B I was priviledged to be able to se=
e the red-shouldered hawk yesterday morning and also this morning.&nbsp=3B =
The male is now carrying food for the female=2C&nbsp=3Bwho is sitting on a =
nest somewhere.&nbsp=3B Where the nest location is will be like finding a n=
eedle in a haystack.&nbsp=3B I know the direction of travel&nbsp=3Band have=
 an idea of where the bird disappears over the top of a ridge.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=
=3B The male is not gone long before coming back&nbsp=3Bso the nest locatio=
n is not too far away.&nbsp=3B With a gps and taking a bearing back to the =
road in regards to the line of the travel I should be able to narrow it dow=
n a bit=2C when time allows.&nbsp=3B At this stage in the game I do not wan=
t to disturb the routine of the&nbsp=3Bmale.&nbsp=3B The only purpose of fi=
nding the nest will be for the Maritimes Nest Record Scheme and to confirm&=
nbsp=3Bif breeding is successful or not=2C&nbsp=3Bwithout disturbing the pa=
ir&nbsp=3Bin any way.&nbsp=3B It has been a real delight for me to be able =
to observe the pair earlier and to now be able to observe the male as he ca=
rries food for his mate.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bridgewater<BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<DIV>
<DIV id=3DSkyDrivePlaceholder></DIV>&gt=3B Subject: [NatureNS] Red shoulder=
ed hawk<BR>&gt=3B From: tumayoung@yahoo.ca<BR>&gt=3B Date: Sat=2C 31 Mar 20=
12 15:46:45 -0300<BR>&gt=3B To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=
=3B Hi everyone. I'm sitting in the kicking horse cafe in Mahone bay lookin=
g at a picture of red shouldered hawk on the cover of the lighthouse log=2C=
 a local paper . The picture was taken near wentzells lake earlier in the m=
onth by a Beatrice schular. <BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B Tuma <BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=
=3B Sent from my iPhone<BR></DIV> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_4aabe1ae-b016-423c-b129-1d3ec4043261_--