[NatureNS] Looking for photos of Giant Hogweed

Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 23:34:50 -0300
From: "Stephen R. Shaw" <srshaw@DAL.CA>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi again Lyse:
Long ago as students in St. Andrews, Scotland, four of us used to live
miles away near Crail, in a large flat rented at the top of a
baronet's huge country house/mansion.  The cost of maintaining such
was/is very high, so you could rent such digs cheaply in those days if
you had your own transport and could stand the lack of heating.  I
slept in a 15th century Dutch 4-poster bed with a scarily carved
headboard.  On the walk down to the sea, the extensive grounds had a
large, tall stand of Giant Hogweed, the sap of which we were warned
back then would cause nasty burns, as Ulli says.

The point of this otherwise irrelevant information is that your post
caused me to look up 'Giant Hogweed' on Wikipedia just now.  If you do
the same, and enlarge the first picture there (which is quite a good
one), it says that it is available for public use -- 'copy, distribute
... under GNU Free Documention...' etc.

Maybe this would solve your problem?  The pic obviously was not taken
in the Maritimes, probably in the Netherlands, but I guess GH is GH,
and it was imported into Canada from its original home in central Asia
anyway, probably via Europe.  Perhaps the botanists on here know more
about its likely ancestry?
Steve (Halifax)