[NatureNS] Another Snow Goose, red-headed woodpecker, rusty blackbirds,

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2012 00:25:49 +0000

--_05cdcfbd-feaa-471f-bf3b-8df397a10ef5_

Hi all:
=20
Jill Comolli found a snow goose with Canada Geese in the cove by Conrad's E=
states which is on the back road from First South to Lunenburg=2C which pas=
ses by Corkum's Island.  Lun. Co.
=20
Today David Walmark and I saw the two snow geese again that I reported as f=
ound by Bob Barnes at Branch LaHave in the pond of the right if traveling f=
rom Bridgewater just as you pass the Branch LaHave Sign.  Lun. Co.
=20
I dropped by the red-headed woodpecker location today in Pleasant River=2C =
Queens Co. with David Walmark and the male is now sporting almost full adul=
t plumage.  He was calling away on territory looking for a mate.  This is t=
he first time I've heard this species call and I find it quite similar to a=
 northern flicker.  Not having this species around here=2C if I were to hav=
e heard it in the field I would have assumed that it was a northern flicker=
 and therefore I was quite surprised to find out that it was not.
=20
Not rare=2C but I saw my first osprey today on the nest just before the Lak=
e Munro sign if heading towards Annapolis.  GSP 20 T 0315466 4932532.  Ther=
e was also a male and female rusty blackbird at that spot. =20
=20
At the Annapolis Royal Marsh - French Basin Trail was a pied-billed grebe a=
nd we enjoyed watching it call.  We had gadwalls there and also at Belle Is=
le Marsh and Northern Shovelers at both locations.  At the Annapolis Royal =
Marsh was a female and male Eurasian Wigeon.
=20
At the Belle Isle Marsh=2C not rare=2C but a treat were 19 Tree swallows.  =
There was another group of swallows just outside of Bridgewater=2C and I'm =
sure that a barn swallow was with them.  David was driving quite fast at th=
e speed limit at that point and we did not turn back. =20
=20
At Bridgetown=2C again not rare=2C but there seems to be a lot of them arou=
nd this year=2C was a turkey vulture. =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater
=20
  		 	   		  =

--_05cdcfbd-feaa-471f-bf3b-8df397a10ef5_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Jill Comolli found a snow goose with Canada Geese in the cove by Conrad's E=
states which is on the back road from First South to Lunenburg=2C which pas=
ses by Corkum's Island.&nbsp=3B Lun. Co.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Today David Walmark and I saw the two snow geese again that I reported as f=
ound by Bob Barnes at Branch LaHave in the pond of the right if traveling f=
rom Bridgewater just as you pass the Branch LaHave Sign.&nbsp=3B Lun. Co.<B=

&nbsp=3B<BR>
I dropped by the red-headed woodpecker location today in Pleasant River=2C =
Queens Co.&nbsp=3Bwith David Walmark and the male is now sporting almost fu=
ll adult plumage.&nbsp=3B He was calling away on territory looking for a ma=
te.&nbsp=3B This is the first time I've heard this species call and I find =
it quite similar to a northern flicker.&nbsp=3B Not having this species aro=
und here=2C if I were to have heard it in the field I would have assumed th=
at it was a northern flicker and therefore I was quite surprised to find ou=
t that it was not.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Not rare=2C but I saw my first osprey today on the nest just before the Lak=
e Munro sign if heading towards Annapolis.&nbsp=3B GSP 20 T 0315466 4932532=
.&nbsp=3B There was also a male and female rusty blackbird at that spot.&nb=
sp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
At the Annapolis Royal Marsh - French Basin Trail was a pied-billed grebe a=
nd we enjoyed watching it call.&nbsp=3B We had gadwalls there and also at B=
elle Isle Marsh and Northern Shovelers at both locations.&nbsp=3B At the An=
napolis Royal Marsh was a female and male Eurasian Wigeon.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
At the Belle Isle Marsh=2C not rare=2C but a treat were 19 Tree swallows.&n=
bsp=3B There was another group of swallows just outside of Bridgewater=2C a=
nd I'm sure that a barn swallow was with them.&nbsp=3B David was driving qu=
ite fast at the speed limit at that point and we did not turn back.&nbsp=3B=
 <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
At Bridgetown=2C again not rare=2C but there seems to be a lot of them arou=
nd this year=2C was a turkey vulture.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bridgewater<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_05cdcfbd-feaa-471f-bf3b-8df397a10ef5_--