[NatureNS] Owl Survey, Tangier

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 10:42:21 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

man"&gt;&lt;STRONG&gt;&lt;FONT size=3D5&gt;&lt;/FONT
--20cf3079bc9ec1393f04bd3f2e0b

The relationship between Boreal Owls and clearcutting has been studied in
Scandinavia. Although I don't remember the details, *some* clearcutting did
benefit the birds. This was likely only the case with small clear cuts as
the birds are, like most owls, perch and wait hunters...they can exploit
the edges of a clear cut, but not deep into it. Clear cuts offer a
different prey assemblage, so if forest voles are down (like this year, I'm
seeing), meadow voles may be up.

Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 9 April 2012 01:03, Wayne P. Neily <neilyornis@hotmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >

> > Friday night, with Suzanne Borkowski's help, I surveyed my Nocturnal
> > Owl route on the Tangier to Mooseland / Moose River Gold Mines Road,
> > on the Eastern Shore. We had been watching the weather and Good
> > Friday looked like the only possible chance for this weekend. We saw
> > very few birds on the drive down in the afternoon, either on land or
> > on the water. We had hoped to see our first Great Blue Heron or
> > Osprey of the year, but didn't find either. However we didn't have
> > the time to do much searching so probably overlooked some. When we
> > got to Tangier we were pleased to see a lot of birds in Pope's
> > Harbour; a flock of about 10 Horned Grebes, in patchy breeding
> > plumage, was a treat. There was a lively group of about 20
> > Red-breasted Mergansers chasing one another around, and a pair of
> > Surf Scoters. Red-winged Blackbirds and Grackles were calling nearby.
> >
> > The route goes inland through largely coniferous forests with lots
> > of rocky lakes and black spruce/tamarack bogs. Northern Fibre's
> > woodchip plant is in Sheet Harbour, and there is a lot of active
> > forestry here, including biomass harvesting. Every year we notice
> > new clearcuts. After scouting out our route we had supper in Sheet
> > Harbour and returned to Tangier to begin the survey half an hour
> > after sunset. The winds had dropped to less than 10k, as predicted,
> > and it was clear and dry. American Woodcock were peenting and
> > winnowing overhead at our first stop, and panicky Robins were
> > calling. A little while later the moon rose full. Late in the
> > evening, when it was absolutely still, we heard a pair of Loons
> > duetting from Bear Lake. Nonetheless I was struck by how quiet it
> > was for most of our stops; most of the ditches were dry and there was
> > no sound of running water. Perhaps because it was drier than usual,
> > or perhaps it was just a bit too cool (+2/+3), no Spring Peepers or
> > Wood Frogs were calling. I have yet to hear either this year.
> >
> > However some owls were certainly announcing their presence. At the
> > first stop we heard two Northern Saw-whets calling as soon as we got
> > out of the car, and we found seven more in the course of the
> > evening. There was at least one NSWO at eight of the ten stops, for
> > nine in all. We also heard two Great Horned Owls. Most unusually,
> > we did not hear a single Barred Owl. This is the tenth year that
> > Suzanne and I have run this route, and during that time we have had a
> > low of three owls, and a high of 16. Our ten-year average is 8.6, so
> > this year's 11 was on the high side. This is the third year in a row
> > that we have had a large number of Northern Saw-whets, in fact more
> > of them than any other owl. I can see that in some ways,
> > clear-cutting produces habitat more favourable to them than to the
> > larger owls. Comments, anyone?
> >
> > Patricia L. Chalmers
> > Halifax

--20cf3079bc9ec1393f04bd3f2e0b

The relationship between Boreal Owls and clearcutting has been studied in S=
candinavia. Although I don&#39;t remember the details, *some* clearcutting =
did benefit the birds. This was likely only the case with small clear cuts =
as the birds are, like most owls, perch and wait hunters...they can exploit=
 the edges of a clear cut, but not deep into it. Clear cuts offer a differe=
nt prey assemblage, so if forest voles are down (like this year, I&#39;m se=
eing), meadow voles may be up.<div>

pan dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:neilyornis@hotmail.com">neilyornis@ho=
=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

Hello Pa