[NatureNS] gloves

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 15:36:36 -0300
From: Dusan Soudek <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

To Liz, others;
   I am no expert on on gloves and mitts, but, having lost eight fingernails to frostbite during a winter ski trip gone wrong in the Gaspe a number of years ago, I have more than a passing interest in this topic. I cannot recommend any specific brands, but here are a few rules of thumb:

1. Mitts are always warmer than gloves, given the same fabric and construction.
2. Generally, keep them loose in order to trap more air.
3. Keep your core temperature warm, or even slightly overheated. This will prevent your body from shutting off circulation to your extremities and skin.
4. Consider wearing multiple layers, and strip them off if you are too hot. Light wool fingerless gloves or snug silk gloves on the inside (great for fiddling with cameras, scopes, bindings), then loose woolen or fleece mitts over them. And, finally, if need be, water/wind resistant overmitts.
5. For winter canoeing or kayaking, use loose pre-formed (i.e. flexed) neoprene mitts with thin palms, so that you don't need to "fight" to compress the neoprene when gripping the paddle. If need be, you can slip your overmitts or "pogies" over them to retain more heat, or snug silk gloves inside them.

Any of the local outdoor stores can supply you with the above. Cheers,
Dusan Soudek

P.S. I didn't get carried away, did I?