[NatureNS] Diatom Bloom - another sign of spring

From: "Eric L. Mills" <e.mills@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:47:16 -0300

I noticed it too in the fog on a south wind this morning. I'ts just about on time, if not a bit late.
This is probably the first spring diatom bloom in decay - although it would have been hard to
notice from land earlier because of the prevalence of westerly and northerly winds for several
days.

Eric

On 16 Apr 2012 at 10:16, iamclar@Dal.Ca wrote:

> All:
>
> There's a a pungent whiff of marine diatoms on the southerly winds
> in
> Halifax this a.m. Don't know if it, too, is early this year.
>

> Ian McLaren

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Dr Eric L. Mills
Dept. of Oceanography
Dalhousie University
1355 Oxford Street
PO Box 15000
Halifax, NS B3H 4R2, CANADA
e.mills@dal.ca
http://oceanography.dal.ca/person/Emeriti/Eric_L._Mills.html
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ