[NatureNS] Early-blooming plant and unusual fungus

From: Patrick Kelly <patrick.kelly@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 12:35:48 -0300

href=3D"mailto:shermwms@eastlink.ca"&gt;Sherman Williams&lt;/a&gt;&l

--Apple-Mail-215--198937180

Thanks to everyone for the interesting and informative discussion. The
fungus in question was in an area that had a lot of hemlock, and the
stump could very easily been a hemlock as well.

On Apr 10, 2012, at 8:02 PM, Sherman Williams wrote:

> Thanks David, yes, I stand corrected. I should have reviewed my
> resource; it too says  <ganoderma  =  with shining skin>.    So the
> name nicely fits Patrick's fungus find, <the fungus with shining
> skin that grows on hemlock> , especially if it was indeed on a
> hemlock stump, as it most likely was.  Any that I have seen, were on
> hemlock. They make me imagine that someone just gave the fungus a
> coat of varnish.
>   Sherman
>
> On Apr 10, 2012, at 7:31 PM, David & Alison Webster wrote:
>
>> Hi Sherman & All,                            Apr 10, 2012
>>     Outer skin didn't sound quite right for Ganoderma so I looked
>> it up on Wikipedia where Gano derma = Shining skin i.e. the derma
>> refers to the varnished outer surface of the fungus not the long
>> since obliterated epidermis of the tree, log or stump.
>>
>>     It is indeed partial to Hemlock (I don't recall having seen it
>> on anything else) but is apparently sometimes fonud on other
>> conifers.
>>
>> Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville

=
=
Patrick Kelly
Director of Computer Facilities
=
=
Faculty of Architecture and Planning
Dalhousie University
=
=
MAIL                                   COURIER
PO Box 15000                           5410 Spring Garden Road
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 4R2           Halifax, Nova Scotia
Canada                                 Canada
=
=
Phone:(902) 494-3294    FAX:(902) 423-6672   E-mail:patrick.kelly@dal.ca
=
=

--Apple-Mail-215--198937180

break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space; ">Thanks to everyone for the interesting and =
informative discussion. The fungus in question was in an area that had a =
lot of hemlock, and the stump could very easily been a hemlock as =
PM, Sherman Williams wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><base =
href=3D"x-msg://68/"><div style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; =
">Thanks David, yes, I stand corrected. I should have reviewed my =
resource; it too says &nbsp;&lt;ganoderma &nbsp;=3D &nbsp;with shining =
skin&gt;. &nbsp; &nbsp;So the name nicely fits Patrick's fungus find, =
&lt;the fungus with shining skin that grows on hemlock&gt; , especially =
if it was indeed on a hemlock stump, as it most likely was. &nbsp;Any =
that I have seen, were on hemlock. They make me imagine that someone =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"border-collapse: =
separate; font-family: Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =