[NatureNS] owl survey - Antigonish

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 15:50:00 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--20cf3079bc9ee523c204bdd04bfe

Krista and I did one of my owl surveys Saturday night, under almost ideal
conditions. There was no full moon, but the wind was light (it picked up
for three of the stops, but not too badly) and listening conditions were
excellent. This was Krista's first owl survey and she was excited.

     No owls.

I'm not sure if I've ever been totally skunked before, but Saturday night
we were. And, unlike me, Krista has great hearing, so that wasn't the
problem. Ironically, this was the same route where, about 5 years ago, I
had Barred Owls on 9 of ten stops and 13 (?) Barreds total. I think there
were one or two Horneds and a couple NSWOs.

My observations of small mammal tracks this past winter were as follows:
mice - about average; voles (tunnels) - almost non-existent; hare - still
below average.

Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--20cf3079bc9ee523c204bdd04bfe

Krista and I did one of my owl surveys Saturday night, under almost ideal c=
onditions. There was no full moon, but the wind was light (it picked up for=
 three of the stops, but not too badly) and listening conditions were excel=
lent. This was Krista&#39;s first owl survey and she was excited.<div>

e if I&#39;ve ever been totally skunked before, but Saturday night we were.=
 And, unlike me, Krista has great hearing, so that wasn&#39;t the problem. =
Ironically, this was the same route where, about 5 years ago, I had Barred =
Owls on 9 of ten stops and 13 (?) Barreds total. I think there were one or =
two Horneds and a couple NSWOs.</div>

 were as follows: mice - about average; voles (tunnels) - almost non-existe=
all">

ntigonish County, NS.<br>

--20cf3079bc9ee523c204bdd04bfe--