[NatureNS] re moles? re mounds on ground

To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
From: "James W. Wolford" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 13:38:43 -0300

--Apple-Mail-4--108761876
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

Thanks, Dorothy.  Just yesterday I received a note on star-nosed =20
moles from Mark Elderkin of N.S. Dept. of Natural Resources, Wildlife =20=

Division, in Kentville.  Here is what Mark wrote:

On 16-Apr-12, at 10:16 PM, Mark Elderkin wrote:

> Star-nosed Moles are very cool mammals.  Habitats in Nova Scotia =20
> are many and quite varied in my experience, but all with rich, =20
> moist friable (easily pulverized) soils and abundant invertebrate =20
> life.  Just two weeks ago, while over in Port George looking for =20
> purple sandpipers, I found the lawn facing saltwater in front of =20
> one cabin mounded with lots of freshly mounded dark earth =20
> indicating fresh star-nosed mole digging.  I have found them in =20
> thickets of both downy and speckled alder, in rich moist alluvial =20
> soils in hardwoods and mixed woods along river flood-plains, lawns, =20=

> gardens, fields and many other sites.  Star-nosed moles have an =20
> enormous mouth gape with very sharp teeth to wrestle large =20
> uncooperative prey, and the strange little nose, really masks the =20
> true mouth of the mole!  Unlike shrews which are tough to swallow =20
> even for the hardiest dietary palate with their strong musk and =20
> venom, many predators seem to relish eating the occasional star-=20
> nosed mole.  Adult Barred owls feed them to their hungry young in =20
> the nest, after removing the head prior to delivering it to ensure =20
> youngsters don't choke.  :)

P.S. Those 22? tentacle-like feelers making up the nose are extremely =20=

sensory, allowing the moles to catch prey in situations with low or =20
no light, and, if memory serves, the tentacles are also known to be =20
electro-sensory (as are bottom-feeding sharks and skates?), so that =20
they can sense the metabolic electricity of the prey animals.  Jim in =20=

Wolfville.

P.P.S. One more really neat aspect about the star-nosed moles: =20
Sometimes in Spring just after any winter snow disappears, in wettish =20=

areas the moles' burrow system (which was under the snow but not =20
underground) can be seen on the surface of the ground for a while.  =20
With no snow the moles will restrict their movements mostly to =20
underground (except maybe at night?).  JW.
----------------------------

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Dorothy Cameron <dorth@eastlink.ca>
> Date: April 17, 2012 10:50:10 AM ADT
> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
> Subject: RE: [NatureNS] re moles? re holes in lawns
>
> Jim, I guess I should have said we have mole-hills and not just =20
> holes, was just following the thread on =93holes=94 and I see we have =20=

> some fresh ones this morning!!  Even though we are on a hill the =20
> ground here is still quite damp and I have more moss in my lawn =20
> than actual grass, so I can see why we have them now.
>
> Dorothy

--Apple-Mail-4--108761876

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">
Thanks, Dorothy. &nbsp;Just yesterday I received a note on star-nosed =
moles from Mark Elderkin of N.S. Dept. of Natural Resources, Wildlife =
Division, in Kentville. &nbsp;Here is what Mark =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"border-collapse: =
separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-style: =
normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; font-size: medium; "><span =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"font-family: Tahoma; font-size: =
19px; "><div dir=3D"ltr">Star-nosed Moles are very cool mammals. =
&nbsp;Habitats in Nova Scotia are many and quite varied in my =
experience, but all with rich, moist friable (easily pulverized) soils =
and abundant invertebrate life. &nbsp;Just two weeks ago, while over in =
Port George looking for purple sandpipers, I found the lawn facing =
saltwater in front of one cabin mounded with lots of freshly mounded =
dark earth indicating fresh star-nosed mole digging. &nbsp;I have found =
them in thickets of both downy and speckled alder, in rich moist =
alluvial soils in hardwoods and mixed woods along river flood-plains, =
lawns, gardens, fields and many other sites. &nbsp;Star-nosed moles have =
an enormous mouth gape with very sharp teeth to wrestle large =
uncooperative prey, and the strange little nose, really masks the true =
mouth of the mole! &nbsp;Unlike shrews which are tough to swallow even =
for the hardiest dietary&nbsp;palate with their strong musk and venom, =
many predators seem to relish eating the occasional star-nosed mole. =
&nbsp;Adult Barred owls feed them to their hungry young in the nest, =
after removing the head prior to delivering it to ensure youngsters =
don't choke. =
tentacle-like feelers making up the nose are extremely sensory, allowing =
the moles to catch prey in situations with low or no light, and, if =
memory serves, the tentacles are also known to be electro-sensory (as =
are bottom-feeding sharks and skates?), so that they can sense the =
metabolic electricity of the prey animals. &n