[NatureNS] re Common Eels & Eel Traps ?

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 15:29:56 -0300
From: Dusan Soudek <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

the river.&
Jim,
   there is a lot going on behind the scenes re the American Eel. But, first, it's incorrect to speak of distinct "Maritime populations" or "population," as all American eels spawn in the Sargasso Sea. The species, same as the European Eel, is panmictic.
   The American Eel's range has shrunk considerably over the centuries, and recently they have nearly disappeared from the St. Lawrence River and the Great Lakes, even though they are still quite common in the Maritimes. There are calls for a complete ban on the commercial fishery of adults and glass eels (elvers).
   If I am correct, in Nova Scotia you are allowed to catch 10 eels of a certain minimum size per day. This is the sport fishery, not the commercial fishery. American Eels are grown commercially in massive fish farms in Southeast Asia, but all the fish come from glass eels harvested in the wild. Not a good situation....
   Dusan Soudek