[NatureNS] Sparrows, Pileated Woodpeckers - Wolfville Ridge and butterflies

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 17:50:27 -0300

Sat Apr 21 :      Both Chipping and White-thr. Sparrows have arrived
overnight on our property on Wolfville Ridge.

A couple of days ago around 7.20 pm,  we had a visit from a pair of Pileated
Woodpeckers. There has been frequent drumming and noisy flights back and
forth by the male between different wooded areas near our home for some time
so it was interesting to see the pair together.  She arrived first, landing
in a mature oak near our house, he landed about 6 ft away from her.  Both
then went through a bit of a song and dance before finally copulating.

Thurs April 19 :   There was a Red Admiral in a greenhouse at the Glad
Gardens Family Farm Mkt and Greenhouses on Hwy 1,  Waterville on Thurs
afternoon,  and a Mustard White was in another greenhouse in the Briar Patch
Farm and Nursery in S. Berwick.

Fri Apr 20:   More WHITE butterflies (Mustard Whites ?)  on the Wolfville
Ridge today - five  through the course of the day.

Cheers,
Judy Tufts

  Judy Tufts

 Wolfville NS