[NatureNS] migrants overnight in New Brunswick

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 15:12:12 -0300

I have been checking New Brunswick's Nature NB.  A lot of excitement there.
Here is Ralph Eldridge's latest report on Machias Seal Island, NB.   Keep
your eyes open and share news with us all...

Liz

The last thing I saw in yesterday's (Monday, April 23) closing gloom was a
BROWN THRASHER on the boardwalk fighting for a toe hold against a 40 knot
wind. It quickly dropped under the boardwalk for shelter as the day's
downpour resumed.  One would say it was definately not a night for much
migrant movement.  Well we didn't get great movement but it was certainly
interesting.

By first light there was a rather bedraggled ROSE BREASTED GROSBEAK foraging
on bare earth, his belly and bib getting very mud-spattered. Within minutes
I spotted 3 more males feeding around the house.

Around 7:00, amid occasional heavy showers and heavy fog, some high flying
calls directed my attention upward to a circling group of 9 GREATER
YELLOWLEGS.

About 10:00 I happened to walk around the house where I was greeted by an
explosion of blue.

When I finally got where I could make a reasonable count I was looking at 11
bright blue male BLUE GROSBEAKS, 3 Non-breeding males and at least 2
females.

With luck, I get 1 or 2 each year. This one group equals my previous total
sightings for 15 years.

Also arriving overnight were VEERYS and more BROWN THRASHERS.

A MERLIN, likely a morning arrival, took a sparrow within 30 feet of me just
a few minitues ago. Now it's feeding on the lawn.

Ralph Eldridge
Machias Seal Island
Ralph Eldrige reported 16 Blue Grosbeaks on Machias Seal Island last night.
Along with the indigo buntings also being reported this may be indicative of
a significant movement of southern species coming on the brink of this
weather system. It might be a good time to check out traditional migrant
traps for southern overshoots.

Jim Edsall
Dartmouth, N.S.