[NatureNS] Earth Worm behavior

Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 09:00:05 -0300
From: Helene Van Doninck <helene.birdvet@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--20cf303636e584665c04be93ba77

Hi Peter, I'm no earthworm expert, but I have raised both them and red
wigglers to feed to animals at my wildlife rehab centre. What I do know is
if the moisture/conditions are not right, they will leave...quickly. One of
our cultures was in the kitchen ( the red wigglers, for eating compost) and
until we got the moisture just right, several times I came home to find
them all over the kitchen...I kid you not.  Maybe they don't like it too
wet in the bed and try to get elsewhere?

Helene

--
Helene Van Doninck DVM
Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre

--20cf303636e584665c04be93ba77

e raised both them and red wigglers to feed to animals at my wildlife rehab=
 centre. What I do know is if the moisture/conditions are not right, they w=
ill leave...quickly. One of our cultures was in the kitchen ( the red wiggl=
ers, for eating compost) and until we got the moisture just right, several =
times I came home to find them all over the kitchen...I kid you not. =A0May=
be they don&#39;t like it too wet in the bed and try to get elsewhere?</div=

br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 8:13 AM,  <span dir=
=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:Hubcove@aol.com" target=3D"_blank">Hubcove@a=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><u></u>

e=3D"4" face=3D"Arial">
rom the=20
asphalt in front of the house. We have about a 50ft x 80ft parking area tha=
t=20
slopes down to a brook from a small flower bed in front of the house. At th=
is=20
time of the year after fairly heavy rain dozens of worms from a few millime=
ters=20
to about 15 centimeters leave the bed and start off across the paving. They=
 are=20
accompanied by what appear to small millipedes although in much fewer numbe=
rs,=20
also some slugs that start feeding on some of the dead worms in the morning=
.=20
d in fact=20
have to get over a lip and negotiate some pavers.</font></div>
d appear=20
to be a good habitat and head out for almost certain doom.</font></div>
hey do=20
it.</font></div>
nt></div>
quid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre</div><div>RR#1 Brookfield NS B0N1C0</di=
v>
a href=3D"http://cwrc.net/?page_id=3D1381" target=3D"_blank">Annual Benefit=
 Concert</a> and Silent Auction</div>

--20cf303636e584665c04be93ba77--