[NatureNS] Yet another Indigo Bunting, Barrington

From: "Roland McCormick" <roland.mccormick@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 11:06:49 -0300

       I have had two indigo buntings here in Barrington.  I compared these
with the other two bluebirds I saw: The indigo buntings have a dark blue
colour: the other blue birds were a lighter blue, and appeared to have some
white below their waist.  The indigo birds had a little black around their
eyes and beak - the other birds did not have any dark black on their head.
The indigo birds had a darker colour on their tail - the other birds had the
same light blue colour there.
       My conclusion is that not all blue birds are indigo buntings, and we
should not assume that they are. I am
convinced  that there are at least two little blue birds - very pretty
little birds - that have a different name.  I would suggest that we look
over our blue birds very carefully, these two that I saw deserve a warm
welcome to NS. I really don't know though if they are heading for Wood's
Harbour or for Shelburne.

Roland.