[NatureNS] Where are the Willets?

Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 20:38:25 -0300
From: Paul Murray <murraypaul@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--------------000702000205080105080701

April 20, 2012

There were *2 Willets* this morning by the Salt Marsh trail.  They were
chasing each other in the lagoon area on the south side just at the 1 km
marker east from Bisset Rd.  Also, there were *3 Yellowlegs* foraging in
the same area but the distance was too great to determine if they were
greater or lesser.  It was "Cole Harbour" low tide at the time.  There
was very little other activity along the trail, probably due to the
strong and cold west wind, *1 Common Merganser* was swimming on the
north side of the trail, also at the 1 km marker.

Paul Murray
Dartmouth

On 29/04/2012 3:30 PM, iamclar@dal.ca wrote:
> All:
>
> Bernice & I drove the Eastern Shore to 3-Fathom Hbr today, with
> limited walking. Even so, I was surprised to see NO WILLETS. Perusing
> the NS-RBA NatureNS archives turned up no reports, although I have a
> notion that someone reported the species earlier this month.
>
> Their normal time of arrival is mid-April, often one or two are
> earlier, and good numbers are usually present by month's end.
>
> Should we concerned? Have they been under-reported?
>
> Cheers, Ian
>
> Ian McLaren

--------------000702000205080105080701

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    April 20, 2012<br>
    There were <b>2 Willets</b> this morning by the Salt Marsh trail.&nbsp;
    They were chasing each other in the lagoon area on the south side
    just at the 1 km marker east from Bisset Rd.&nbsp; Also, there were <b>3
      Yellowlegs</b> foraging in the same area but the distance was too
    great to determine if they were greater or lesser.&nbsp; It was "Cole
    Harbour" low tide at the time.&nbsp; There was very little other activity
    along the trail, probably due to the strong and cold west wind,&nbsp; <b>1
      Common Merganser</b> was swimming on the north side of the trail,
    also at the 1 km marker.<br>
    Paul Murray<br>
    Dartmouth<br>
      Bernice &amp; I drove the Eastern Shore to 3-Fathom Hbr today,