[NatureNS] Roosting sites for chimney swifts

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 23:02:58 -0300

style=3D"WORD-WRAP: bre

------=_NextPart_000_03EF_01CD28B7.B793B7D0

Hi Dave S & All,                        May 2, 2012
    It is my understanding, based on a brief tour of the internet, that =
Swifts do not nest in communal roosts these being of importance during =
migration i.e. points between the breeding areas and South America [or =
perhaps a place for Swifts that can't find nesting sites to hang out].

    For the rearing of young (please correct me if I have this wrong) =
they need a suitable nesting site for each breeding pair (hollow trees =
or equivalent). In view of changes over the last 70 years, this I =
suspect is the critical resource.=20

    I found a few descriptions of artificial nesting sites that should =
work but none that had been proven to work. Both hollow trees and =
chimneys have in common a comparatively good heat storage capacity. [If =
you burn much energy feeding on the wing then you have less energy to =
keep you warm at night. Consequently I suspect a suitable nest would =
have to be designed to capture and store insolation energy.

    Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20