[NatureNS] Roosting sites for chimney swifts

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 10:37:16 -0300

bGQgbWFu

------=_NextPart_000_0465_01CD29E1.DFEF6140

Hi Allison & All,                May 4, 2012
    Thanks for your comments. I had hoped that someone up to speed on =
Swift nesting would chime in.=20

    Constructing a tall artificial nest that has the heat storage =
capacity of a massive chimney or a large hollow tree [stores enough heat =
to last cold nights without becoming hot in the daytime] would be both =
labor and materials expensive.=20

    But in NS at least there may be practicable approaches suggested by =
comments in Tufts (1961) to the effect that "Occasionally they resort to =
abandoned camps or old unused mills, where they fasten the nest to the =
inside wall.... one was placed in a rock lined well..."=20

    Possible approaches, depending upon contacts and found material, =
include discarded concrete culverts installed upright in gravel pit =
waste heaps, sono-tubes installed upright in sawdust piles (probably =
both would need to be vented near the bottom with small pipes angled =
upward), 8' towers built in the woods from windfalls using thick planks =
cut with a $50 chainsaw mill, or slabbed poles or stacked walls.

Yt, Dave Webster Kentville=20

   =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20