[NatureNS] Nesting sites for chimney swifts

Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 16:35:55 -0300
From: Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

During 5 years of Maritime Breeding Bird Atlas work in 2 squares that
straddle the Mines Road/ Butler Road in the wilds of southern Kings Co
& nw Hants Co, I came to suspect that Swifts were nesting in natural
tree sites to a greater extent than may be realized. It was somewhat
routine to record Swifts in those squares, often in pairs or larger
numbers in some sort of interaction. In 2010 in the western square
20LQ87 I observed a female breaking small twigs off a tree, in flight,
as they are reported to do for nesting. She was accompanied by her
mate. This was just W of Dead Brook on Butler Road, a very remote
place.

I theorize that they are nesting particularly in standing dead, or
partially dead, white pine. For some reason, even our clear-cutting
forestry sector leaves many white pine behind, living & dead. If you
frequent these areas you will see numerous sentinal white pine, live
or dead. The dead ones have amazing strength & many almost rot in
place. Broken tops & hollow trunks are not rare. This is also true for
uncut forest.

On July 28, 1996, I observed 2 Swifts "entering and exiting a hollow,
standing, shell of a tree, surrounded by water, at Black River Lake,
east of Methals Dam". I'm sure Bernard Forsythe has told me a similar
story.

I know our Swifts are in trouble but I'm not convinced that nesting
sites is the primary concern, speaking strictly about NS.

Rick Whitman