[NatureNS] Owl survey, Earltown

From: Susann Myers <myerss@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 13:41:03 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01CD2AC4.B6BF4F40

Gillian and Jim Elliott joined me for an owl survey on a route near =
Earltown, Colchester, last night.  Conditions were near-perfect for =
owling, with an almost-full moon, clear skies and wind very light except =
at two exposed stops.  Unfortunately, there was a damp chill in the air =
and the owls, as well as the songbirds, were unusually quiet.  We found =
only 7 owls, on a route where 20 or more are regular.

It was an enjoyable evening, though, with snipe winnowing at the first =
stop, woodcock wittering at a couple of later stops, and Ruffed Grouse =
drumming til midnight in the bright moonlight.  We had four species of =
owls: a Boreal that called at the first stop, 3 Barreds (one flew in =
silently and perched, craning its neck to watch us), two Great Horneds =
and one Northern Saw-whet.

Cheers,
Susann Myers
------=_NextPart_000_0009_01CD2AC4.B6BF4F40

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Gillian and Jim Elliott joined me for =
an owl survey=20
on a route near Earltown, Colchester, last night.&nbsp; Conditions were=20
near-perfect for owling, with an almost-full moon, clear skies and wind =
very=20
light except at two exposed stops.&nbsp; Unfortunately, there was a damp =
chill=20
in the air and the owls, as well as the songbirds, were unusually =
quiet.&nbsp;=20
We&nbsp;found only 7 owls,&nbsp;on a route where 20 or more are=20
regular.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>It was an enjoyable evening, though, =
with snipe=20
winnowing at the first stop, woodcock wittering at a couple of later =
stops, and=20
Ruffed Grouse drumming til midnight in the bright =
moonlight.&nbsp;&nbsp;We had=20
four species of owls: a Boreal that called at the first stop, 3 Barreds =
(one=20
flew in silently and perched, craning its neck to watch us), two Great =
Horneds=20
and one Northern Saw-whet.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Cheers,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Susann =
Myers</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01CD2AC4.B6BF4F40--